Need help with odd issue through a Zyxel X-550 router

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Tyndaleon

Need help with odd issue through a Zyxel X-550 router

Post by Tyndaleon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:28 am

I've got an odd situation with an SMF forum site testbed I have up on a free hosting service. All of a sudden today, I can't connect to the site. Here's the deal:

-I don't have any problem connecting to any other site than this one.

-Others can connect to the site without problems. I myself can connect to the site either through my phone with Sprint, or if I remove the Zyxel X-550 and plug directly off the cable modem (Charter).

-With the router hooked up, while I can't access the website, I can FTP into the same domain or even the direct IP address of the site and be able to access/interact all of the files associated with the site without any problem at all. It's only trying to access the site through a browser from my PC that I have any issue.

-I've reset both the cable modem and the router (both power cycled as well as factory reset on the router), with no change to the situation. I can ping both the DNS name & the IP address directly without any problem. I've also flushed DNS on the PC through ipconfig.

Anyone have any ideas on where the problem point might be for this? After a factory reset of the router I can't think of anything in the router settings that should be a problem offhand, but I'm not really an advanced networking or particularly router savvy person.
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Need help with odd issue through a Zyxel X-550 router

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:01 am

This reminds me of a problem Virgin are having with certain areas. I am aware that some there customers who play online games, cannot connect to certain servers, and only a few. If they disconnect their Dlink Virgin supplied router and connect there modem direct to their PC every works as it should. Virgin are aware there is a problem, but you do need to talk to the right Muppet on their helpline before you can get anywhere! Some have had success with installing WRT firmware onto their Dlink's and it has fixed the problem. Do you use virgin?
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Try setting MTU/MRU to 1400 or lower. If that doesn't work, try using DrTCP or TCPOptimizer to change your Windows MTU settings to 1400.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Tyndaleon

Post by Tyndaleon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Well now I feel pretty silly having posted this here. Turns out it was a deal with the free web host I was using. They apparently ban IP's for 24 hours that have accessed your site too many times within a 24 hour period prior. Which is kinda silly for the person building/working on the website in question IMO. But its a free site and only used as a test bed so not a huge deal. Thanks anyway guys, sorry to bother you. :oops:
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 pm

LOL
At least you have sorted it :D
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!