Way to check router's h/w & f/w

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
asmfan
Novice
Novice

Way to check router's h/w & f/w

Post by asmfan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Is there a way to check Router in all the possible ways? flash memory embedded OS (file consistency, permissions to be default, garbage files of prev. firmware of different types and vendors, etc.)
Symptoms my D-Link DSL-524T had - it started (after some WinSCP copy to host from router /it also hung times during some of copy operations/) then SLAM/ATM connection started to drop down, sometimes was unable to connect to router's IP (def. gateway IP) /used to happen previously but not often/ - i.e. like no DHCP by router. Unable to ping its IP, etc. Network unreachable. As another symptom - router became slow in its GUI/web interface response. Terribly slow. cold/warm reboot didn't give much better.
reFlashed it lots times. But finally did a 'tmp' dir cleanup before final reflash.

The question are: how to check Router's h/w - cpu, memory, flash storage, etc.
Then how to make cleanup for leftovers of prev. unknown firmware (or new firmware installation formats mtd4 partition and no leftovers possible?). How to install completely brand new embedded OS and prior to this reformat the partitions on flash-memory?
How to make as clean as possible - like fixenv/defragenv prior to adam2 update /recommendation/

*i don't afraid to dispose damaged by time h/w - just how to make sure it is damaged?* - *but better way is to make it clean and tidy - as virgin as possible*. Cleanup previous & current trash and garbage, defragment not only mtd3 but the rest of FS. Is there a permissions for embedded FS - then reset to default if updating firmware doesn't do it (or it does?)?

So was it useful - cleaning /rm, rd/ the *\tmp\* dir from common sense and then after reboot and reflash it seems i got stability with gateway and DSLAM/ATM connection while previous movements (reset to def. and reflashes) were in vain.

Is it chance or this is a tendency and good point to some unexpected routers' behavior?

Thanks. (or could it - router - hung because of UPnP enabled or because ISP DLSAM settings broken and it doesn't connect time to time to router - support says i'm out of network despite router shows assigned IP etc. DSL light can be on and off time to time - DSLAM is to blame too?)
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Way to check router's h/w & f/w

Post by mstombs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:54 am

The firmware loaded into mtd4 contains the kernel and a readonly filesystem, and when running /var and /tmp will just be ram drives - so there is nothing to clean up after up a power cycle.

mtd3 contains the config and the env vars, the config should be reset to defaults from within your new firmware (don't rely on reset button it is software actioned so may not work!).

The env vars are persistent across firmware change, you should compare them line by line with an original backup (as generated by the RouterTech RUC). RouterTech specific env vars should not affect other firmwares but many env vars will affect your connection and low level Ethernet ATM/DSP drivers.

But you should check basics such as the PSU brick before suspecting broken firmware!
asmfan
Novice
Novice

Post by asmfan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Much thanks! Appeared after couple of days of testing that h/w is somehow daying (don't know what part exactly) ((
Few descriptions.

Code: Select all

ioctl(s, SIOCGIFADDR, ...): No such device
soft reboot often hangs router - unable to tracert/ping gateway IP
*serial link not connected* messages.
sometimes after entering web interface and some surf there router hangs and unable to tracert/ping gateway IP as well.
even power on/off don't help sometime to establish connection to router - no DHCP IP or no link connected.
sometimes connects as 10Mb not 100Mb.
! But ! sometimes it connects and gets WAN IP! But connection is unstable(
Is there a way to run some testing s/w on embedded router's OS with result 0/1 signaling the (in)stability?

So, the only thins that are preserved -
/proc/ticfg/env
and
/proc/sys/dev/adam2/environment?
Permissions of preserved files (FS level maybe if they are?) are reset on update?

So if only update over web interface - will it ensure that all(!) files from previous formwares except the shosen ones (env files) are whipped from the FS once and for all?

So i guess my DSL-524T RIP after 5 years of hardworking) Sad that after just moving to so nice RT firmware (i suppose 524t died much earlier - as it somehow caused me to move to new firmware with a hope things go better) 524t completely lost its mind in negotiations with DSLAM((
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:36 pm

asmfan wrote:Is there a way to run some testing s/w on embedded router's OS with result 0/1 signaling the (in)stability?
No.
asmfan wrote:So, the only thins that are preserved -
/proc/ticfg/env
and
/proc/sys/dev/adam2/environment?
Yes. They both point to exactly the same location (or, at least, they are supposed to).
asmfan wrote:Permissions of preserved files (FS level maybe if they are?) are reset on update?
The FS is a read-only squashfs filesystem.
asmfan wrote:So if only update over web interface - will it ensure that all(!) files from previous formwares except the shosen ones (env files) are whipped from the FS once and for all?
Yes. But the config block will remain the same unless reset to defaults.
asmfan wrote:So i guess my DSL-524T RIP after 5 years of hardworking)
Maybe, and maybe not. Post the firmware system diagnostics, and we might be able to find other causes of your problems.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.