Space on router

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Marcboy
Novice
Novice

Space on router

Post by Marcboy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:40 pm

How much storage space do these routers have (SWART etc.) I know the firmware available on this site allows for a sftp server to be run on it. How much space is available to be used? Is it possible to include a mini web server on the router?
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:51 pm

Depends what you want from the web server if it is something relatively simple then can start another instance of the built in webserver used for admin on another port.
Or better would be to move the admin gui off of port 80 to another port and use port 80 for your web server could then use the 'Web Access Control' to allow it to be accessed from ant WAN IP ( Can't forward ports to the router IP ! ).

Obviously unless you are compiling the firmware with the mods ( and web pages) built in then settings will be lost on a reboot with the GUI then being visible WAN side (but password protected).

Not had a proper look but may be possible to manually edit the config file so the WAN 'visible' HTTP server defaults to a port other than 80 ( LAN GUI Admin would still be 80 but probably wouldn't be able to use 'access control' so no remote admin or restricting LAN side Admin).
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Marcboy
Novice
Novice

Post by Marcboy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:49 am

Basicly, i dont really want a full fledged web server. I want the router to check the status of my pc that hosts my site, and if offline display a "Sorry we are currently having problems" etc. Not sure if its possible or not though.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:30 pm

Problem is not only would your router have to serve files as a web server for that to work, but it would also have to sport some kind of script that would be run when it was accessed to check your server. On a normal machine I would do this with php and apache or with a python stand-alone program and webserver but obviously these are not possible on the router due to space restrictions.....

I'm not sure that helps you at all, but I just can't see any easy way of getting the checking bit going; perhaps someone will come up with something I have overlooked.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:28 am

wouldn't it be easier to just have two machines attatched to the router and use one to check the on/offline-ness of the other? you could trawl ebay for an ancient machine if you don't already have one, if its only pretty much pinging your other machine then it's not going to need to be a beast
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:55 am

That is of course an option or alternatively use an external small hosting account to perform the check and only show the content of your server when it is running.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
gazzer
Regular
Regular

Post by gazzer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:41 am

Kieran wrote:That is of course an option or alternatively use an external small hosting account to perform the check and only show the content of your server when it is running.
im surprised that whole sentence wasnt a hyperlink to your site :P
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:49 am

Because that would be assuming people don't already have a host or can't find some free space somewhere that supports php/asp/cgi. ;)
Kieran
"Indeed!"