Webserver Magically Sending emails through to local exchange

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
ddhaxor97

Webserver Magically Sending emails through to local exchange

Post by ddhaxor97 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am

Hey All,

I have recently inherited an IT setup for a company done by a guy who went AWOL and I have had to try and figure out what is going on.

Recently, the company has moved premises and I have had to set everything up - I almost got it all going except for an issue with emails not coming through.

The setup is that an external unix-based webserver "magically" catches the emails and forwards them on through. The exchange server that sits on the premises and gets the emails some how.

I know the webserver has an "MX Entry" that contains mail.domain.com and a DNS Zone File Record for mail.domain.com which points to the external IP for the router.

That static IP set up by the ISP has not changed due to the move (they have kept the same one)

At this point my best guess is that there is something I need to do to the router so that it knows that when it allows mail.domain.com through to the local exchange sever. I don't even know where to start looking, and I have a dinky little fritz-box router which is very shiney but doesn't let me do much out of the ordinary.

I am also able to remote-desktop into it by using mail.domain.com as well so I am sure there is some magical routing rule that I am missing that allows all this.

If something could point me in the right direction that would be great. Many Thanks,

~ Dan
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Webserver Magically Sending emails through to local exch

Post by Kieran » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 am

You'll almost certainly want to be forwarding port 25 through to the internal IP of the exchange server using the port forward settings on the router.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
ddhaxor97

Post by ddhaxor97 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Thank you very much Kieran,

I will try forwarding port 25 through tomorrow, but will this help with the ability to remote into the server by typing in "mail.domain.com", should I use a different port for this?

Is there any other tricky DNS related tools that could help on the router side?

Thanks heaps, I will post the results when I know the outcome. Cheers!

~ Dan
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm

If you want to remote in to the server from external IP addresses (ie. remote desktop) then you'll have to forward TCP port 3389. Be aware that this is not always a wise thing to do; requiring to be inside your work LAN in order to access work assets is usually best practice
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!