D-Link DIR-645

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Rini666

D-Link DIR-645

Post by Rini666 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 am

Hello all,
I have been having this problem ever since i bought our first D-Link (DIR-645) to replace our old 2006 Linksys router. The problem is latency during my boyfriend and my online games. We will both be playing and we will experience a severe lag spike and be unable to play for a few seconds and have to power cycle the router to fix the issue for the night (sometimes only an hour.)

We have Comcast internet 50mb down, 10mb up. We run wireless as we live in an apartment and cabled would be difficult, especially with cats.
I've called their customer support and done everything they've said, which most was bizarre and i knew wouldn't help...like changing my password type to WEP with a 5 digit password. How would that fix it?
I've changed the channels to every single channel available with no relief. I have a Wireless n NIC card, the bf has a wireless g, and his mom has a wireless g as well.
The router is not dual band (thought it was at first but sadly it isn't) though it shouldn't cause us to lag so badly.
It's also happened when i'm playing an online game and he isn't, but both of our laptops receive high latency spikes at the same time.
Cabled is just fine.
I've had a friend ping our router and it was consistently 130 while we weren't lagging, and then while we were lagging, it stayed at 130 as well.
I've used Miraki tools to see how many other networks are around. It's about 30 which i know is high, but changing the channel should've fixed that i thought.
I have replaced the router with a refurbished version and am experiencing the same problems.

I'm at my wits end and don't want to deal with D-Link all over again.
Any advice would be great. The router also has Port Forwarding and QOS options but i am told i shouldn't have to use those. Originally the problem was when someone else logged onto the internet, but now it is happening while everyone has already been on. I also receive IP conflict warnings SOMETIMES.
I've taken Networking this last semester so i know a little bit, but definitely not a whole lot.
I hope someone has some ideas that would help.
Thanks so much in advance,
-Rini
duke
Regular
Regular

Re: D-Link DIR-645

Post by duke » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:21 am

what firmware version are you running ? latest is 1.03
http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutio ... outer-1000

more ppl with same issues
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=51167.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=51821.0
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Systems-Me ... B0050SLU6K

your post on facebook :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/dlink/posts/10151734838829358

Hardware Info
Architecture: MIPS
Vendor: Ralink
Bootloader: U-Boot
System-On-Chip: Ralink 3883 (MIPS 74Kc)
CPU/Speed 74Kc V4.12 500 Mhz
Flash-Chip: MX24L6405D
Flash size: 8192 KiB
RAM: 64 MiB
Wireless: RT2860v2_ap 2.4ghz 802.11bgn
Ethernet: RealTek RTL8367RB Gigabit w/ vlan support swconfig
Internet: n/a
USB: Yes 1 x 2.0
Serial: Yes
JTAG: ?

apparently running linux

telnet is available
Login: Alphanetworks
Password: Firmware Signature for example: wrgn39_dlob.hans_dir645

more info on the router
Info about the router:
Platform:
CPU Type = Ralink RT3662F
Flash Chip = Macronix MX25L6406EMI-12G
Flash Size = 8 MB
RAM Size = 64 MB
RAM Chip = ESMT M14D5121632A-2.5B
ETH chip1 = Ralink RT3662
Switch = Realtek RTL8367RB
Ethernet Port Count = 1-10/100/1000-WAN 4-10/100/1000-LAN
Wired Standard = IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab
Ethernet interface OUI = none specified
Flash Card Socket/Type = No
SD/MMC Mod Support = No
MiniPCI slots = No
PoE = No
Power = 5VDC/2.5A
Connector type/size = Barrel plug
USB = 1x USB 2.0
Serial Port = Yes
JTAG Port = No
Radio:
Wireless Radio = Ralink RT3662
WLAN DSP processor = Ralink RT3662
Wireless interface OUI = none specified
Antenna Connector Type = U.FL
MIMO status = 2x2:2
Wireless Standard = IEEE 802.11b/g/n
802.11n = up to 300Mbps
802.11g = 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54Mbps
802.11b = 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps
WiFi Operating Frequency = 2.4GHz

unfortunately ddwrt doesn't support it yet and openwrt has partial support(no wireless)
you need to find a system log, if the router keeps one, which is like a record of whats happening to the router during these high latency periods . online it seems ppl were able to solve the problem by putting the router in to bridge mode(which is basically make it into a dumb pass-through).
you need to do that (as a troubleshooting step) to see if the problem is resolved , if it is then its either a buffer issue or the tiny processor is spending too much tim,e on "something" , track down this "something" (could be a processing rule in firewall OR a filtering rule {website blocking rule}OR someone leeching your internet {there is a guest wifi option IS IT on ?} ) by disabling unnecessary option if it doesn't work
then what you need to do track down is telnet in to the router and maybe find obscure settings that might resolve this(this is really the extreme last step , there are undocumented telnet commands that will overclock a router cpu , increase power to wifi antenna BUT are hidden for a reason and MIGHT not be available for your router)
Rini666

Re: D-Link DIR-645

Post by Rini666 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 am

Thanks for the help!
Scary that you tracked down my facebook but hey, it's the internet.
So, yes i have the most recent firmware version. As mentioned in some other threads, people have been having issues with 1.03 and prefer 1.02. I may consider downgrading later.
This router doesn't offer Bridge Mode from what I can see.
I could make it an Access Point but my modem doesn't have a router built in. IT might but it would cost an extra fee if so.
I created static IP's to make sure it isn't an IP address conflict.
Rechecked Meraki tools for fun, and the wifi networks in range jumped to 47. So i can see a lot of interference there.
I will see how this IP thing goes tonight and report back. This is where we will all be using wifi in an online game for hours so it should be a good test.
Thanks again,
-Rini