Can connect to server from outside LAN but not inside LAN

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
jreeseue

Can connect to server from outside LAN but not inside LAN

Post by jreeseue » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:23 pm

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on an older generation Macbook Pro (no version of OS X left on the laptop, only Ubuntu). This is connected to a Medialink wapr300n router. This machine is set to a static IP and ports have been forwarded to it for ssh and http. In addition I have a domain name registered with dyndns.org which has been turned on in the router preferences. All of this is confirmed to be functional (the domain name has been updated and tied to my IP, the ports are open and being forwarded to this machine). The problem I am facing is that I cannot access the domain name from my local network. For example a command such as:

Code: Select all

ssh -v user@my-domainname.com
when issued from my local network will result in:

Code: Select all

OpenSSH_5.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8x 10 May 2012
debug1: Reading configuration data /Users/****/.ssh/config
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh_config line 20: Applying options for *
debug1: /etc/ssh_config line 53: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to my-domainname.com [*.*.*.*] port 22.
debug1: connect to address *.*.*.* port 22: Connection refused
ssh: connect to host my-domainname port 22: Connection refused
However, this same command issued from a remote location will be successful. If anyone has any ideas about this I would be greatly appreciative. It feels like an issue with the router, but I've scoured the preferences and am not finding much. I've also just checked (and updated) the routers firmware. I am currently on the newest version.