Possible Comcast Cable Internet Connection Cutout

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
arskiracer

Possible Comcast Cable Internet Connection Cutout

Post by arskiracer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:23 pm

I've been having some trouble with streaming my slingbox and I'm trying to figure out if it's my internet connection or the internet connection at the remote location where the stream is initiated.

At first I thought it might be my DLink router since I frequently had other problems with the WiFi connection not sharing the network/internet with a computer and I would have to power cycle the router to fix the issue. I replaced the router with an Asus model and the WiFi problems have gone away, but I still have issues when trying to stream my slingbox, which is located at another house in a remote location about 500 or so miles away. I have the problem regardless of if I'm on WiFi, ethernet to the router or ethernet directly to the cable modem. I've been seeing some packet loss on a piece of hardware (neighborhood router?) that comcast owns, which I believe (but not positive) is what's located in the box in my back yard.

My slingbox works well most of the time, but every once in a while it will cut out for 1 or 2 seconds and then continue without problems for a while. It varies day-by-day. Some days it's so bad I can't watch the slingbox and other days I only see it cut out once an hour or two. I installed pingplotter last night and I've been learning how to interpret the data since then.

I've been logging the pings to the slingbox server for the last 16 hours and today at 11 am I started making notes on the data every time I see the slingbox cutout briefly (although it has only cutout 6 times since then). Today, it doesn't appear to be my side of the internet that is causing the cutouts. Over the last 16 hours I've seen a lot of packet loss, mainly from hop #2, but even though there is packet loss on hop 2, the data generally (but not always) still seems to make it past that device and through the rest of the trace and back to me. I'm wondering if the device has a low priority for responding to pings and so it just appears to have packet loss when the actual data might be transferring correctly?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this data? Any suggestions about what I can look for or other steps I can take to try and figure out what's going on? I'm assuming a lot of people use the pingplotter SW, but it not, let me know and I'll attach some pictures of the plots.

I'm going to try and get a computer setup remotely so that I can monitor the internet on the other side of the slingbox connection as well.

At the end of the data, hop 2 stopped responding altogether, but still seems to be forwarding the packets on to the other devices.

*It wouldn't let me attach a pp2 extension, so here's the link to the file on my public dropbox folder:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/107 ... ox.com.pp2