New Netgear R6300 V2 or Asus rt ac66-88U ?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
jangodog

New Netgear R6300 V2 or Asus rt ac66-88U ?

Post by jangodog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Any one ?? I'm close to pull the trigger but
wan't some advice before i make my choice.

I know the Asus ac68U is the most powerful
but it's also more expensive:)

jangodog
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: New Netgear R6300 V2 or Asus rt ac66-88U ?

Post by mstombs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:07 pm

No direct experience of either, they are too expensive for me to mess around with with but I note Asus seem good recently with releasing their GPL sourcecode, so there is already 3rd party enhanced firmware for some variants

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

But didn't I just see a press-release saying the AC wifi spec only just IEEE ratified? Which means any existing devices were draft-AC, and can expect more options and compatibility issues in future as more vendors enter arena and technology matures.
jangodog

Post by jangodog » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi i'm not sure i know what you mean :IEEE ratified ? I do have a macbook air with ac wifi
but all my other devices are N wireless if that has anything to do with it?

Thank's for reply

jangodog
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:50 pm

There was a press release in the tech news from a recent big show

http://standards.ieee.org/news/2014/iee ... allot.html

I don't have any ac devices, but I advise taking any wireless speed specs with a healthy pinch of salt. I don't see how a wireless link can be faster than a short sata cable between motherboard and hard disk inside your computer! Wireless devices are inherently single-duplex (can't send and receive at same time - yes I know there is research that will make it possible...), how many devices behave when sharing same channels is a big issue and standards that define inter-operability between devices/brands very important.

My limited experience of the 5G band (in N mode) is that it is currently quieter than 2.4G, partly because fewer devices, but also because it doesn't have the same range.

I definitely prefer devices with external antennae - so you can try different orientation, but also expect firmware upgrades (to router and client device) as it is currently leading edge technology!
jangodog

Post by jangodog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Well i think i made up my mind for Asus rt ac 66 or 68U. And like you
said the external antennas is better then internal:)

Thank's for your help.

jangodog