Router Problems

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
ssz

Router Problems

Post by ssz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:12 am

So sometimes the Router WZR2-G300N stops working, I'm connected but it doesn't connect to any page or anything. If you disconnect from the Wi-Fi it wouldn't work unless you reset the router by turning it on and off but sometimes after turning it on and off, it gives me a limited connection. bad
Bitkeeper

Re: Router Problems

Post by Bitkeeper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Well, routers are like little computers. Just like a computer, a smartphone or a navigation system sometimes malfunctions or hangs, the same can also happen to a router.
My router also sometimes hangs or does not accept my WiFi password, does not let me access the web or other effects. After a reset it's fine again for some months.

I do not have a solution for you. Maybe it is a software bug, but if that was the case, other users would have the exactly same problem in the same frequence.

In my opinion many of those ugly effects are random and transient single-bit errors of the memory inside the router. A memory-chip is the most sensitive part in any electronics board, because the data is held 'charge-based'. A DRAM memory-component is just 10x10mm in size, but consists of hundreds of millions of little capacitors. Each of the capacitor cells holds a charge of a few 'femtocoulombs' (< 0.0000000000000001 Coulombs!) which decides if a data-bit is a Zero or a One. Due to leakage, this charge is discharging within a few milliseconds, thus the CPU must refresh all DRAM cells periodically to make sure the data is kept. At the same time the memory must be able to transfer data in and out at super-fast speeds, billion data-transfers per second! It should consume almost no power and has to continue working flawlessly when the chips get hot, antennas radiate into it, other chips disturb the lines, etc.
Can this really be perfect at all times? No way!!!

Interesting enough, Servers never have any problems. They run stable for years. But why is that?
A server uses a very expensive CPU that creates ECC error-correction parity bits for each data-word it sends to the memory. This is why server-memory modules are different from standard modules. They need to be 72 bits wide to store additional 8 parity-bits for each 64 data-bits. By these parity bits, the CPU can perform an algorithm that detects and corrects errors. The result is that the server can be kept switched on forever and is resistant to temperature, radiation, etc.

But we can hardly put a server-CPU into a router, nor the router has the space to take a large memory module nor the many memory-chips required for error-correction technology (typically minimum 9 chips are required).
Inside a router, there is just ONE single DRAM memory chip, usually a DDR2 or DDR3 chip.

A new technology available now will solving the problem: Intelligent Memory released such DRAM components, but with an 'on chip' integrated ECC error-correction logic.
These chips are direct replacements to conventional memory ICs. The motherboard of the router does not need to be changed, also the software needs no adaption.
I just wonder when the first manufacturers of routers or other electronics will adopt the technology and release routers with ECC-memory. I guess there is also a good market to use ECC in outdoor-routers, at restaurants and hotels. I personally would not mind spending a few bucks more to get a router that is reliable.

[Edit by admin: removed links]