ASUS AC68U dsl Help

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
clem58

ASUS AC68U dsl Help

Post by clem58 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:15 pm

At present i have sly broad band unlimited and have slys broadband routre. I have all kinds of problems with dropping off, streaming issues as well loading problems when more than one person goes online. I am not that savvy when it comes to networking and that's where you come in. I have been looking at the asus ac68u DSL, PRICED AT £171.00P . I live in a bungalow so i don't think it would take much to remedy the problems i am having. What i want to know is, would this routre be the answer to my prayers if set up properly?

Thanks guys for having me and i look forward to your replies :D
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: ASUS AC68U dsl Help

Post by thechief » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 am

The DSL-AC68U is reputed to be a good router - especially as it is supported by third-party firmware (i.e., Merlin: http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about). But it is quite expensive. If you want a cheaper alternative, check out the DSL-N66U. This is also reputed to be a good router. Either of them would give you a much better experience than the naff router that Sky supplies - but the trick is to get a router that is supported by 3rd party firmwares (e.g., Padavan: (https://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/) or Merlin (above), or Tomato, or DDWRT). Whether you should get one of these depends on how you are currently set up. If you have a BTO modem, then these "DSL" routers (i.e., with built-in vDSL modem) may not be the best option.

You also need to be aware of possible issues with setting up other routers with Sky fibre. You definitely should go to the Sky forums (http://www.skyuser.co.uk) and make sure that you read ALL the blurb on the router you want to buy - BEFORE - splashing out a penny. How hairy or easy things will be will depend very much on your current setup. If you are not a techie, you need to proceed with GREAT caution.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Does the sly router have a modem mode, virginmedia's superhubs do? AFAIK merlin/tomato/dd-wrt support the Ethernet "RT" version of the Asus routers. I know nothing about VDSL!
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Indeed the DSL-AC68U is a little over kill if you are just going to use it for every day stuff.

Are you on ADSL or VDSL?
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!