Asus RT N66U weird disconnects

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
aprillian

Asus RT N66U weird disconnects

Post by aprillian » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:21 am

Hello thank you for taking the time to look at this post.

I bought this router about 4 months ago and it has always had these random disconnects. After a while I narrowed it down to only when I watch 3 minute plus YouTube videos.

I say that because it doesnt d/c when I play games or watch Wimp.com lengthy videos. Only YouTube lengthy videos. I hope thats enough to give a clue what is wrong but I went ahead and downloaded the router report software on this site and ran it so Ill attach the log.

Please help me figure this out, let me know if there is any more information needed.

Thank you!
Attachments
diagnostic.txt
The report info from the routertech.org program.
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Asus RT N66U weird disconnects

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:42 am

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Have you done the basics? Reset the router to factory settings, and re enter your settings manually.

Are you on the latest firmware? Also when you install the firmware its best practice to reset the router after the upgrade and again manually entering your settings.

Firmware available from here. http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTN66 ... _Download/
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
aprillian

Post by aprillian » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:27 am

Thank you for checking in!

Yes, I've searched everywhere for solutions. Firmware is up to date and I've reset it plenty.

I just know it is the router because my wife and I have different Sony laptops but they both d/c on lengthy YouTube videos.

We get a solid 50mbps on speedtest.net and downloads, xfers, and streams all run so smooth. Just not YouTube :)
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Very odd that it's only YouTube that disconnects. I assume your connecting to the router by wireless? If so, do you connect with on the 5GHz or the 2.4GHz frequency?
Try changing from which ever you’re using to the other and see if that makes a difference. You could also try putting a manual channel in to see if that makes it more stable.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:30 pm

Maybe you might want to try another firmware. I have Asuswrt-Merlin (http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/).

PS: what would be more helpful for diagnostic purposes than what you posted above is the system log from the router itself (you may first wish to edit out all your sensitive information if you are going to post that).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:55 pm

How strange only yesterday I started getting repeatable disconnects from one of these routers, but only when connected via wireless N 5GHz with 40MHz width - intitial connect from Window/intel laptop at 450Mbps and when speedtesting at over 100Mbps. The router log reported something about "radar detection" at the time, and the laptop lost the router connection and has to reconnect.

Upgrading to a firmware version using new 'SDK6' wireless drivers (Tomato Shibby AC version, but should be the same as latest rmerlin) seems to have fixed this issue, but possibly max speed sacrificed for stability, I plan to experiment some more, but it could be a Broadcom router wireless driver issue that is exposed by a recent Windows/ Intel wireless driver update.
aprillian

Post by aprillian » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Yeah, my laptop doesnt catch the 5.ghz so i turned it off in case the different bandwidths were causing interference of some sort.

However, I did get the latest firmware dated feb 15th of 2015 yesterday and it stabilized my connection when watching youtube but only for a little while. I actually got to watch a 40 minute game stream on youtube :)

But not long after it did the d/c again and this time while I was playing an online game which is unusual. I will try the merlin firmware that was posted and see if that helps.

Thank you all!
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:16 am

AsusWRT Merlin Firmware:378.51 currently has the most recent drivers I have seen (not that this is always a good sign!)

Code: Select all

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Fri Mar  6 19:46:18 UTC 2015
admin@RT-N66U-3130:/tmp/home/root# wl ver
6.30 RC163.2002
wl0: Oct 17 2014 12:47:21 version 6.30.163.2002 (r382208)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:24 pm

It's the same in the version that I have (378.50).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
aprillian

Post by aprillian » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:43 am

You guys rock!

I uploaded the latest Merlin firmware for Asus RT N66U.
Ive watched a couple full length YouTube videos all the way through w/o disconnects!

The buffer seems choppy but at least it doesnt drop connection completely :)
Just in case I will continue to monitor the connection and report again in a couple days but so far its working just fine :)

Thank you again!
aprillian

Post by aprillian » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:52 am

Scratch that... d/c again.

Still more consistent than before :)
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:11 am

Have you tried turning off your firewall temporally, and then try YouTube?
aprillian

Post by aprillian » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:46 am

Firewall? I keep those off.

Honestly the firmware updates made the connection more steady.

If anything my wifi is working better now :)

Thank you all!