Router Recommendations

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Carlorobelli

Router Recommendations

Post by Carlorobelli » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:28 am

Have a three story house, 2 story w/ basement actually... The cable guy insisted he had to install cable modem in basement - had the least amount of spliced lines and best signal.
But... I cannot find a router that reaches upstairs. Tried a Linksys WRT400N and a Netgear N750. Neither do the trick. Willing to spend more to get a reliable signal.... Sick of this issue. Multiple users , kids with xbox, tablets, computers, netflix, etc...
Any suggestions for routers???

Thank you very much
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Router Recommendations

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:06 pm

You might need two (or more) devices - the main router, plus one (or more) wireless extender(s).

On the other hand, you might want to consider Powerline Adapters (e.g., have a look at this Ebuyer page)
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:03 pm

I know some folk who get good use out of powerline, but do be aware of the marketting 'up to' specs, similar to wireless you'll be lucky to get half the advertised rate! If you can I recommend real cat5e cable, good for 2,000Mbps, you can get external grade to run wires outside if needed to put a router or wireless access point in more central location.
Carlorobelli

Post by Carlorobelli » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:34 am

Thank you. Is there a difference between using an old router as a range extender vs a true range extender? Set up a lynksis e3000 as a range extender and it does not work well. Intermittent and seems to cause more conflict than benefit. Wondering if a true range extender would be any better. And if so, any recommendations? Find different reviews on different sites, not sure who's right.

Or... I'd be wiling t buy a new router - nighthawk r7000 or r8000. Or asus rt-ac87... Any one of these have better range?

Thank you
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:56 am

Carlorobelli wrote:Thank you. Is there a difference between using an old router as a range extender vs a true range extender?
No.
Carlorobelli wrote:Or... I'd be wiling t buy a new router - nighthawk r7000 or r8000. Or asus rt-ac87... Any one of these have better range?
Read buyer reviews on Amazon. You are more likely to get a true feel for these things from those reviews. Unfortunately, its all about trial and error. So I wouldn't buy an expensive new router, because it just might not suit your building. I use second-hand Asus RT-N56U routers, and the range (at 2.5g) is good enough. Your mileage may vary.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:39 pm

I happen to use a Linksys E3000 for wireless range extension, connected by wire back to main router - the E3000 has internal antennae and the 5GHz band limited coverage but fine for one room!

Asus have been caught cheating in the US recently - using more power in products than allowed

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... it-settled

One result is that recent firmwares have fewer 'wireless tweaks''exposed, and some forks of asuswrt-merlin sticking with older drivers where they can change country/power settings