speed problem with new router, need assistance

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
kelsha

speed problem with new router, need assistance

Post by kelsha » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Dear All,
I recently bought a new Asus RT-N12 as a replacement for my broken wireless router at home.
I set up the new device for wireless router mode. It is connected to my DSL modem. The internet connection works fine but I have a speed problem. When I test my network speed using speedtest.net, it reports speeds like 6+ Mpbs. However, when I try watching online videos over youtube and like, they keep freezing. I check the traffic monitor page and it reports speeds like 30-40 KBytes/sec. When I bypass the router and connect my laptop directly to the DSL modem, videos play just fine. The issue is same for both wireless and wired connections over the router. I try connecting through different computers running Windows XP and Vista and using several android phones and the speed problem is same for all.
I have updated the firmware to latest version 3.0.0.4.376_3754 from Asus site but it didnot make a difference.
I tried solving the issue through QoS settings but enabling/disabling does not seem to effect the issue.
I kindly request some assistance, please feel free to ask any questions for troubleshooting the problem

thanks in advance
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: speed problem with new router, need assistance

Post by mstombs » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 am

What are your modem stats, connection speeds and noise margins?

What ADSL connection mode, i.e. PPPoE/ PPPoA

How is modem connected to router? If modem mode is PPPoE preferred mode is usually to put modem in bridge mode and enter ISP details in router.

What setting does router have for MTU/MRU, Ethernet routers default to 1500, PPPoE adsl connections must use less than 1492, ISPs may have lower limits i.e. 1400 and auto detection may not work.

When testing with router - how many clients connected, if max connection speed 6Mbps, very easy for one client to saturate connection, then carefully setup QOS will be essential.
kelsha

Post by kelsha » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have been using the same modem for 5+ years and didnot make any configuration changes recently. It has a single ethernet port and configured to work in DHCP server mode.

When I connect my old router to my modem, it works fine and I can watch HD youtube videos without any problems. Similarly when I connect a laptop directly to the modem (bypassing any routers), everything works fine and I can watch youtube without any problems. Considering these, I believe the issue is not related to the modem.

The setup is in my home. The number of clients is under control and I am sure that there is noone else in the network using up the bandwidth. To support this, the router firmware reports incoming/outgoing traffic and it is consistly low while youtube videos are freezing.

About your MTU suggestion; I made a little research on the Internet and discovered many people with problems similar to what I have been experiencing. However, the firmware for the Asus router does not seem to support MTU size configuration. It only supports it when working in PPPoE mode but I am using it in "dynamic IP" mode.

So I thought about changing the MTU size of my client computers (the laptop I am using for browsing the internet). By doing the "ping -f -l" test, I discovered max size without fragmentation is 1472 bytes. Unfortunately, setting the MTU size to as low as 1400 didnot seem to make a difference. I tried this on a Ubuntu laptop, not sure if that makes a difference?

I have been thinking about burning a custom firmware that would support MTU configuration. However, I never installed a custom firmware before and a bit concerned about bricking the device.

Please feel free to make any more suggestions.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 am

Try an MTU of 1200
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
kelsha

Post by kelsha » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Tried 1200, then 1000 but didnot help.

Then burned Tomato firmware to the router but nothing seemed to change, Internet connection works fine but youtube keeps freezing. Lastly, I tried changing MTU of the router using new firmware but it didnt help as well.

So, I gave up trying :( and returned the router and got a Linksys EA6100. It worked after a two minute setup..
I guess maybe ASUS N12 hardware was not upto the task or something.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help
regards,
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Perhaps you were unfortunate to get a dud one ...
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.