RT-N66U: Odd web-based only speed issues

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
MyDog8em

RT-N66U: Odd web-based only speed issues

Post by MyDog8em » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:19 am

Hi all, I have a speed issue that I suspect to be my router, perhaps a setting somewhere that I have over looked. I have an Asus RT-N66U beginning with the latest Asus FW now currently with the latest Merlin FW and this happens on both FWs. No matter what web site I download from, I get a steady 1.49-1.50MB/s web-based speed and during these downloads, nothing is accessible on the web including my routers setup page until the download stops. On the other hand, I get torrent downloads at my max speeds (6.6-7.0MB/s), as well as speedtest.net reports my correct ISP speed (50Mbps down/10 up roughly, which is also web based :?: ) and during these, the web is accessible and so is my router setup page. This happens on all (6) PCs in my house and with different browsers, Windows and Linux mixed including a Raspberry Pi and it only seems to be web based. Everything else is fine including installing packages for my Linux boxes from either the pkg manager or terminal. Its as if while downloading web based, my routers resources are some how maxed out to where it can't handle any other requests. Now when I unplug my PC from the router and directly into the cable modem, I get the full download speed from the same sites. If anyone is familiar with the N66U, any info provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: RT-N66U: Odd web-based only speed issues

Post by mstombs » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:20 pm

If you are downloading P2P as fast as that the router will be busy with lots of connections, and the slower upload channel may be saturated - correctly configured QOS may help. Incorrectly configured QOS may be causing the issue. Are you sure how many clients are using the router when it is on? Are you using any of the parental controls, DNS or URL filtering?
MyDog8em

Post by MyDog8em » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:50 am

mstombs wrote:If you are downloading P2P as fast as that the router will be busy with lots of connections, and the slower upload channel may be saturated - correctly configured QOS may help. Incorrectly configured QOS may be causing the issue. Are you sure how many clients are using the router when it is on? Are you using any of the parental controls, DNS or URL filtering?
I have QoS disabled and there typically is no one else using the router at the problem times of downloading web-based material. I do use parental controls, no DNS filtering but I use URL filtering for the kids in my house, generally stuff pre-teen kids shouldn't be looking at. I did however temporarily disable all parental controls after reading your reply as I didn't think of trying that but it did not help. What gets me is the P2P downloading doesn't seem to drag the router down. I was viewing the routers status page and the CPU use during P2P is below 20%. But Web downloading, the CPU is pegged at 99-100% and the routers setup page will eventually time out and tell me "The page can't be displayed".
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 am

It seems rather strange. To get to the bottom of it, I recommend;
1. reset the router to factory settings
2. configure the router to connect to your ISP (and nothing more at this stage)
3. try web downloading

If the problem still persists, then I would imagine that there is either a problem with the default settings, or there is a problem with the ISP connection (or, worse, a hardware problem with the router - but I doubt this).
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
MyDog8em

Post by MyDog8em » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:23 pm

thechief wrote:It seems rather strange. To get to the bottom of it, I recommend;
1. reset the router to factory settings
2. configure the router to connect to your ISP (and nothing more at this stage)
3. try web downloading

If the problem still persists, then I would imagine that there is either a problem with the default settings, or there is a problem with the ISP connection (or, worse, a hardware problem with the router - but I doubt this).
Thanks. I will give this a shot this wkend.