What happens when I hard reset a router?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
TheHalfABee

What happens when I hard reset a router?

Post by TheHalfABee » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi everyone,

so I've recently moved in with my girlfriend and her housemate and am now wanting to play with my PS4 online.

In order to get the best out of my connection I'm wanting to open a few ports for the PS4 and for that I would need to get into our router.

We are using a Technicolor TG582n from PlusNet and the router password is printed on the back of the machine itself.

However, this password doesn't seem to work, so it seems like someone must have changed it. However, nobody can actually remember changing the password.

So I read online that it can help to just "hard reset" the router and return it to its factory settings, which should mean that the password goes back to the one printed on its back.

My question now is, what would that actually mean in regards to my internet connection? I've never actually set up a router, so would this mean I have to enter certain details in regards to my internet provider etc.? Cos I'm not sure if anyone here actually has any details or anything.

Or would I simply be able to just plug the machine back in and it works as long as I still use the default wifi password for it?

Any help would be much appreciated, cos I actually don't have a clue :oops:

Cheers
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: What happens when I hard reset a router?

Post by thechief » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:37 am

If you reset the router, you will lose all customisations and settings, including most probably the settings that make the router connect to the ISP. However, it all depends on how things were set up in the first place. You really need to speak to Plusnet technical support.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
amigh10

Re: What happens when I hard reset a router?

Post by amigh10 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:22 am

Downloading large files or streaming data for long periods causes a home network router to generate heat. In some cases, routers will overheat due to the sustained heavy load. An overheated router will behave unpredictably, eventually disconnecting devices from the local network and crashing. Shutting down the router and allowing it to cool down solves the problem temporarily, but if this issue occurs often, ensure the router has proper ventilation (no vents blocked) and consider moving it to a cooler location.