Network drops when wireless device connects.

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
Etherel90

Network drops when wireless device connects.

Post by Etherel90 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:13 pm

Hey guys, I just recently bumped up my ISP service plan to a 150mbps connection and realized that my old router had no gigabit connection ports so I decided to upgrade. I also bought a new modem to finally get rid of that $10/mo rental fee that my ISP charges. New modem is a SurfBoard 6141 and my new router is a TRENDnet TEW-812DRU. Old router was a Netgear WNR200 v3.

I pulled my new router out of the box and connected it. Checked and updated the firmware. This router has 2 wireless connections, a 5GHz and a 2.4GHz. I noticed right away that the 5GHz connection was of poor signal strength and the 2.4GHz connection was dropping in and out. On the LAN side, everything was running fine. However, when I was finally able to connect a wireless device (iPhone 5 and Kindle Fire) the entire network (LAN and WAN) would drop when the wireless device attempted to access the internet or run a speed test. I have tried just about every combination of settings I can think of from disabling the 5GHz, changing around the security settings, manually trying channels, switching between 20Mhz and 40Mhz. I am at a loss.

Any ideas?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Network drops when wireless device connects.

Post by thechief » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:02 pm

The problem can be anywhere.

Run inSSider and see what is going on in the wireless ether around you. That may provide clues. Otherwise, check that your router's hardware is not faulty and that firmware is not buggy. You may also want to do a Google search on the specific router that you have.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Etherel90

Post by Etherel90 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks for the reply, thechief.

I'm not sure how to check if the firmware is buggy, but I don't notice anything wrong with the interface and the firmware is up to date with TRENDnet's website. It doesn't appear that the hardware is faulty either, as everything appears normal and all the lights are working properly. I've tried doing numerous searches on google and other forums. I currently have posts up on three different sites and I have a support ticket open with TRENDnet but I haven't really had much response so far.

I'll run inSSider like you suggested, but I think it should be fine seeing as my previous router (Netgear wnr2000v3) worked flawlessly and is still working now.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:21 am

Etherel90 wrote:... my previous router (Netgear wnr2000v3) worked flawlessly and is still working now.
Which indicates that there is something not quite right with the new one.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.