convert a router to a switch

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
ajs63

convert a router to a switch

Post by ajs63 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:33 am

I have an Edimax AR6024WG router that i no longer use and wanted to use it as a switch - does anyone know how and if I can configure this to a switch

Thanks in advance

AJ
jan1111

Re: convert a router to a switch

Post by jan1111 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:33 am

Hi,

I "rebuilt" several obsolete adsl wifi routers to switch/ wifi AP.
Every router with more than one ethernet LAN port should be used as a switch without any configuration. Make sure you have dhcp server disabled (Advanced settings > LAN setup > DHCP configuration) and wifi disabled if not needed.

hope this helps

J.
ajs63

Post by ajs63 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:50 am

Tried all those things but router won't work as a switch, as soon as I connect I lose the internet. its fine before the router but after the router no connection??
Zdenek

Post by Zdenek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:19 pm

ajs63 wrote:Tried all those things but router won't work as a switch, as soon as I connect I lose the internet. its fine before the router but after the router no connection??
Things come to mind:
• No Auto MDI on any of the two routers
• You didn't actually disable the DHCP
• It's actually broken
Zdenek

Post by Zdenek » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:44 pm

The original advice also failed to mention that you must change the default IP of the router's network interface so that it doesn't collide with any in your current network. Pay attention to the address of your current main router. Then make sure that the newly assigned address of the would-be switch lies outside of the DHCP range of your main router. Some might say that a DHCP checks for conflicts, but be on the safe side.