Setting up my SART2-4115

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
cordas
Novice
Novice

Setting up my SART2-4115

Post by cordas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:46 pm

I have just bought a new router (SART2-4115, well the surecom / guru version from ebuyer) and installed it with the firmware I got from here (routertech-ar7rd-firmware-20060904).

I am now playing about with trying to configure it and get it setup the way I think it should be and am running into a couple of problems. I know I am probably being blind and missing the obvious but....

1) How do I set my PC up on a static Ip to the router?

2) I run utorrent as my bit torrent client and it says that it wants forwaded port, sometimes this is available to it and others not, how can I sort this out?

3) I have changed the router password, optimised the memory and enabled UPnP is there anything else I should do?

Cheers for any help :)
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Setting up my SART2-4115

Post by thechief » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:01 pm

cordas wrote:I have just bought a new router (SART2-4115, well the surecom / guru version from ebuyer) and installed it with the firmware I got from here (routertech-ar7rd-firmware-20060904).

I am now playing about with trying to configure it and get it setup the way I think it should be and am running into a couple of problems. I know I am probably being blind and missing the obvious but....

1) How do I set my PC up on a static Ip to the router?

2) I run utorrent as my bit torrent client and it says that it wants forwaded port, sometimes this is available to it and others not, how can I sort this out?

3) I have changed the router password, optimised the memory and enabled UPnP is there anything else I should do?

Cheers for any help :)
Q1. Depends on what OS platform you're on. On Windows, you need to go to the TCP/IP settings, tick "Use the following IP Address", set "IP Address" to the static IP that you want (e.g., 192.168.1.10), set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, set "Default Gateway" to 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router's login IP is), and insert your ISP's DNS server IPs in the DNS server section.

Q2. Others can answer questions about port forwards

Q3. If its working okay for now, then nothing else to do.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
cordas
Novice
Novice

Post by cordas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:24 pm

Thanks, for that. I was wondering if I needed to give my PC a static IP on the router, and if so how?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:08 pm

cordas wrote:Thanks, for that. I was wondering if I needed to give my PC a static IP on the router, and if so how?
Hi - the router doesn't care about your PC's IP as long as it's in the same subnet as the router (and doesn't clash with another PC on the network - so don't forget to make sure that the static IP you choose is not in the same range as any being served out from the router - or any other DHCP server - by DHCP) :wink:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:53 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:
cordas wrote:Thanks, for that. I was wondering if I needed to give my PC a static IP on the router, and if so how?
Hi - the router doesn't care about your PC's IP as long as it's in the same subnet as the router (and doesn't clash with another PC on the network - so don't forget to make sure that the static IP you choose is not in the same range as any being served out from the router - or any other DHCP server - by DHCP) :wink:
Jim when using port forwards the router does need to be told an IP is static, if it isn't 'reserved' then when ever the PC is shutdown / rebooted the IP association for the port forwards will be removed.

When a PC uses DHCP
then Select "Advanced" then "LAN Clients" and tick the 'reserve' box.

When the PC already has a static IP
Then Select "Advanced" "LAN Clients" and enter the PC's IP and name (MAC can be entered but only really needed when IP is dynamic)
Attachments
reserve.jpg
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
reserve static IP.jpg
(33.37 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
cordas
Novice
Novice

Post by cordas » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:42 pm

Cheers for the help biro, don't know how I missed that. I am sure I had checked every option on advanced at least twice, then you tell me and its staring me in the eyes :oops: :roll:
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:08 am

Jim when using port forwards the router does need to be told an IP is static, if it isn't 'reserved' then when ever the PC is shutdown / rebooted the IP association for the port forwards will be removed.

When a PC uses DHCP
then Select "Advanced" then "LAN Clients" and tick the 'reserve' box.
Surely this isn't "normal" router behaviour ? An IP used in port forwarding doesn't need to be reserved via DHCP on the router - it normally just needs to be static on the "target" P.... :?

....so is this a "bug" in the AR7 f/w's then ? :shock:
Jim

studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:26 am

A small note I thought I might add...

I use a *nix server which I use as a DHCP server. So where the DHCP server on the SWAMR is turned off, I need to add the Computer Name/MAC/IP Address to the LAN Clients section and then I can set up Port Forwarding.

With other routers, such as older Safecom models, among others; I have noticed that you can simply just add the computers IP address with port mapping info. I guess this is just a 'feature' of the SWAMR/SWART routers.
cordas
Novice
Novice

Post by cordas » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:02 am

I am still having problems with port forwarding for utorrent, if any of you kind people can help me I would be most greatful.

Sometimes when I start utorrent it says it is being portforwarded but othertimes not......
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:03 am

Not really any different to any other router it's just that instead of entering the IP for each rule you 'reserve' the IP so it appears in a drop down list.

Can still do it the 'normal' way with "Custom port forwards"

Note 192.168.1.198 and 192.168.1.199 have not been reserved, Don't even exist.

IPtable entry's from "Gateway System Information" page.

Code: Select all

0 0 DNAT tcp -- ppp0 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpts:12345:23456 to:192.168.1.198:12345-23456 
0 0 DNAT tcp -- ppp0 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 tcp dpt:80 to:192.168.1.199:80 
EDIT note not a reply to
cordas wrote: Sometimes when I start utorrent it says it is being portforwarded but othertimes not......
Attachments
custom pf.jpg
(28.22 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
custom pf applied.jpg
(10.28 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
custom range.jpg
(16.63 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
ImageImageImage
G'Day Laura
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:13 am

cordas wrote:I am still having problems with port forwarding for utorrent, if any of you kind people can help me I would be most greatful.

Sometimes when I start utorrent it says it is being portforwarded but othertimes not......
What happens if when it says they aren't being forwarded you shutdown and restart utorrent, does it then work or still show a problem. If still a problem do you have to reboot the PC or router to get it to work ?
ImageImageImage
G'Day Laura
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:12 pm

Cheers Biro - had me worried for a moment - must say that I still prefer the "old" way :wink: or is there any additional benefit to the "reserve firs" option I am missing other than not having to type the value in ? :?

CORDAS: are you sure that Utorrent is configured to use a fixed port and uPnP mapping isn't enabled ?
Jim