Speed Issues any advice?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Speed Issues any advice?

Post by ayrshiredude » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi

I am having a few issues with my Plusnet routers and hoping someone can help. To fill you in I have a Plusnet Technicolor 582 Router. When I perform a speed test using either BT wholesale test, Speedtest.net or Thinkbroadband I get around 16 Mbps. However this router is no longer working correctly so Plusnet sent me out a new Hub 0. When I do the same speed tests I only get around 11 Mbps, quite a drop. No one seems to be able to tell me why this is. I spoke to a guy from Plusnet Technical Support who suggested I get a Hub 1 Router, which is basically a BT Hub 5 type A Router. I bought a new one on Ebay for £25. However, once again, when I use this and perform the same speed tests I only get around the 11 Mbps. I gave this a week to settle in but can get no faster than the 11 Mbps. So I have went back to the Technicolor router and once again getting just over 16 Mbps.

When I had the Hub 1 on, the line speed was reset to 21 Mbps but within a few days it had dropped to just over 11 Mbps. No one at plusnet can tell me why that was. At the moment my line speed is showing at 16.7 Mbps and the speed test I have just performed shows 16.33 Mbps (speedtest.net)

I'd like a router that both works (the technicolor wifi isn't working properly) but can also give me decent speeds. I don't get why 2 different Plusnet routers are both showing such a marked drop in performance over the Technicolor one. But I don't want to go and buy one then find it has the same issue.

Can anyone offer any help or advice?

Many thanks
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Speed Issues any advice?

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Sometimes it all depends on the router's modem/drivers and how well (or not) they interact with the ISP's equipment. Are you on ADSL or Fibre?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:21 pm

I'm on ADSL
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:34 pm

ayrshiredude wrote:I'm on ADSL
In that case, yes, the router's modem drivers' interactions with the ISP's DSLAM are crucial. Your best bet is to find out from other PlusNet users which routers perform best with PlusNet's DSLAM. Otherwise, it's trial and error.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:36 pm

So why would a Plusnet router not work properly with the Plusnet DSLAM? Can this be altered?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Connection speed and short term speedtest not everything, sometimes better to connect with more margin, and have fewer disconnects.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Not quite sure what that really means. More margin? I quite often download large files and video so would have thought that faster speeds would be an advantage.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:48 pm

ayrshiredude wrote:So why would a Plusnet router not work properly with the Plusnet DSLAM? Can this be altered?
Working "properly" is relative. And the issue is not the hardware, but its firmware. For example, you may need to upgrade the router's firmware - especially if there are good 3rd party firmwares.

Also, there are all sorts of factors that will be taken into account as the modem driver negotiates connections. Some drivers will prioritise speed over stability, and vice versa. You need to check your firmware's wen configuration to see what it allows you to do.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:22 pm

What would you change in the configuration?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:30 am

ayrshiredude wrote:What would you change in the configuration?
Modulation (if you are allowed to change it). I don't know what you firmware's web configuration allows you to do, so there is very little that can be suggested by way of specific recommendations.

Here is an example of what the RouterTech firmware modulation settings looks like: demo/2-5/modem.htm
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Ok so tried something today that gave an interesting result. My neighbour who lives directly across the road from me is also on Plusnet and is also using a Plusnet Technicolor router. I took both the Hub One and Hub Zero over today and tried them on the line.

On he Technicolor router I got just over 17 Mbps. When I changed it to both the Hub one and zero I got just over 16 Mbps. So only about a 1 - 1.5 Mbps drop in speed.

Now I am baffled. Any ideas why I get over 5 Mbps speed loss?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:03 pm

You might want to try your neighbour's router on your line. If you still get low speeds with that one, then the problem would most likely be with your line itself.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:05 pm

thechief wrote:You might want to try your neighbour's router on your line. If you still get low speeds with that one, then the problem would most likely be with your line itself.
running speed tests at both properties using relevant Technicolor routers are both giving fairly similar speed test results. The difference is when I try the Hub 0 and hub 1. I get a drop in speed af just over 5 Mbps while using the same routers accross the road only gets about a 1 Mbps drop in performance.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Well, there is obviously something going on with you line that is not going on with your neighbour's line - and it could be anything. It may possibly be solvable by tweaking some configuration settings - but, since we are not familiar with your devices, there is little we can do to help. If the Technicolor router performs well, then perhaps you should buy another one.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Is it possible to use the Technicolour Router as the modem and send the internet from there to the Hub1 and use that for wifi.ethernet etc? if so how do I do that?