Speed Issues any advice?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Speed Issues any advice?

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:32 am

Try this:

1. Disable wireless on the Technicolor
2. Disable DHCP on the Hub 1
3. Disable the modem on the Hub 1
4. Connect both with an ethernet cable
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me how to disable the DHCP? I don't see anything in the settings to do this. Also when connecting them both by ethernet cable where do I plug it into on the Plusnet Hub 1? The VDSL port or just an normal Ethernet port?

Thanks again
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:40 pm

ayrshiredude wrote:Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me how to disable the DHCP? I don't see anything in the settings to do this. Also when connecting them both by ethernet cable where do I plug it into on the Plusnet Hub 1? The VDSL port or just an normal Ethernet port?

Thanks again
Well, I don't know your router, so I can't answer the question about how to disable DHCP on it. But it will be there somewhere in the settings. You connect the devices to each other via normal ethernet ports.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:38 pm

Thanks for everyones help
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:28 pm

I am trying to use my Plusnet Technicolour router as the modem then connecting it to my Hub One with an ethernet cable to use it as the "hub". I have disabled the DHCP on the Hub One, I have disabled the modem on the Hub One, I have disabled the wifi on the Technicolour and connected the two using an ethernet cable. I have tried connecting to both the VDSL connection and also just a normal ethernet connection on the Hub One but all I can get is the light orange and the "b" light flashing red.

Am I missing something?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Do you get a wireless connection to the Hub 1? We do not know your router, and we are not with you. You need to give full and detailed information about what exactly you have tried, and what exactly was the outcome, otherwise, we will be left with a lot of questions and speculations.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:48 pm

I have my pc connected to the Plusnet Hub 1(basically a BT hub 5) using an ethernet cable and get and unstable internet connection, as in it works but then drops. I have disabled the I cannot connect to wifi at all it sees it but won't connect.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:59 pm

Did you give the Hub1 a static IP address? You might need to do that.
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 am

No I haven't. How do I do that?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:09 am

In the LAN settings ("IP Address" or something like that). You will need to connect to the Hub1 directly, after first disconnecting the Hub1 from the other router. You must give it an IP address that is different from that of the main router - e.g., if the main router is on 192.168.0.1, you can give the Hub1 something like 192.168.0.250. You should also set the Default Gateway and the DNS servers to the IP address of the main router. Afterwards, you will be able to access the Hub1 using only the static IP Address that you have given it. Then you can connect it back to the main router.

Connecting to the internet through the Hub1 should work at this point. If it doesn't, then I have no other suggestions. As for why the Hub1 wireless is not playing ball, I have no idea.
mysticalos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by mysticalos » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 am

Was this ever resolved? I don't think I ever saw any margins posted. might be called margin might be called SNR depending on software. Line attenuation too. Just overall line quality statistics. the DSLAM will force train lower speeds if margins are really low. Might even force you to interleaved instead of fast path. All of this you can read from stats within router somewhere. These are generally first things you should check. You'll likely know right away if it's a line quality issue. Maybe a bad filter, or noise or some other issue in your houses lines or even out at NID (outside box).

I know for weeks I was having as similar issue and I found that if I messed with wires at NID i could get it to behave for a bit. sometimes a few days sometimes only an hour before I had to go back out and do it again. I tried replacing wires and even had a tech come out once and replace the jacks etc on box outside and nothing worked. Then one day, I went outside with a sledge hammer and decimated the box into pieces. Then called them up and said "hall this pile of bad out of here and give me a new box, brand new, no more pussy footing around, I want a box that works".

They came out and did just that. Haven't had any issues sense. :)
ayrshiredude
Novice
Novice

Post by ayrshiredude » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Kinda! So I have been monitoring it and was connecting about 16.1 Mbps. Still only getting about 11 Mbps or there abouts on the Plusnet Hub 1 (ditched the hub 0) while getting 15-16 on the old technicolor router. Then on my login page it suddenly told me my line speed should be between 16.5 and 18 Mbps. So I was going to call them as they told be if the line speed went below the guaranteed minimum they could raise it with Openreach. However the next morning it had all shot up. Line speed was showing as 21 Mbps. So I tried another speed test and low and behold I was getting just under 16 Mbps on the Hub One. So I called them to find out what had happened as it was now also showing estimated speeds on my login page. They told me I had been moved onto their new Network. I have been continuing to monitor this and, although the line speeds and estimated speeds have dropped (now connecting at 16.1 Mbps) I am still getting just under 16 Mbps doing speed tests.

I've tried the Technicolour router and getting the same speeds, no longer getting the huge disparity between the two routers.

Not really sure why the increase as the line speed is still the same but I'm happier than I've been for a while.

A couple of years ago I had Sky and used to get over 20 Mbps so might look at them again when my current contract runs out in 3 Months. Any other Isps that are good for max speed with Adsl?