Linksys E4200 Setup

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
tabafusos

Linksys E4200 Setup

Post by tabafusos » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:46 pm

I have successfully been using a Linksys E1200 router for several years. A friend recently offered me a used Linksys E4200 router as an upgrade. It worked fine for my friend as of a week or two ago.

I can't get the E4200 router working. I can ping the router and access the settings from my computer, but I can't get an IP address or ping anything past the router. I've done a hard reset, which takes me back to the setup page for the router settings. However, I also noticed that in Network and Sharing Center it shows the old network name (the name my friend had created) even after 10 hard resets.

I've switched back to my old router which works fine, so I know the issue is with the new E4200 router. I'm using the exact same Ethernet cables for both routers, just switching from one to the other.

I don't think the MAC address is an issue, but I've set both the old one and new one to clone my PC's MAC, and the old one works while the new one doesn't.

I updated the firmware of the new router, but it didn't work before or after updating.

I've run out of ideas, so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!