Which gigabit AC router?

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
balages74

Which gigabit AC router?

Post by balages74 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Dear All,
Recently got 1000/200Mbit internet installed at home, but the supplier provided router is only bgn capable. I'd like to buy a reliable gigabit router with stable AC wifi, that does not reboot/disconnect etc all the time, but maintains a stable high-speed wifi connection (I know an AP would be enough, yet I prefer to buy a router). There are LOADs of options in the $150 range but also a lot of bad reviews of all. These I looked at more or less:
ASUS AC87U
Netgear Nighthawk EX7000
Synology AC1900
D-Link DIR-890L
Linksys WRT1900ACS
TPLink C9
I dont expect to be able to fully utilize the gigabit connection thru WIFI, but I'd like to have a very stable and fast internet connection even thru wifi, no sudden disconnects, router reboots etc. Can you suggest here? I dont need to stick to one of the above, just to give you an idea of what I've been checking.
Thank you in advance,
Balage
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Which gigabit AC router?

Post by mstombs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm

I wouldn't touch the "Asus AC87U" - seen too many problems on forums in part due to odd "Quantenna chipset" - an experiment Asus seems to have moved on from.

1000/200 is going to be a challenge for any domestic device, suggest you look at small business/commercial solutions.