My router died

Support forum for routers of all shapes and sizes. As long as it's router based and doesn't fall into the other categories, this is the place to ask your questions.
adammuelta

My router died

Post by adammuelta » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:35 pm

I guess its time has come, one moment i was just surfing away at the web , the next im getting page not founds , all the leds on the router are dark except for the power indicator... its a dlink dsl 320t which i recently got to work with the routertech 2.3 firmware, oh well it was fun while it lasted.

i will try a pctools revive tomorrow, but in case that doesnt work, which nice modem routers would you guys recommend i replace it with?

i also own a dlink dgl 4300, and it only works with pppoe, dhcp, pptp or l2tp, while the isp im on is pppoa... all this time ive assigned the dgl 4300 to a static ip address on its 'wan' side, hook it up to the 'lan' side of all the modem routers ive ever used ,and put the dgl 4300's ip address in the dmz of the routers... so im guessing i wont actually be needing a very fancy modem if i'll mainly be using the dgl 4300, just one which can handle as many connections as my dgl 4300 can ...the bad backup modem im using stalls out with too many open connections and i have to wait for like a minute or so before enough connections time out and i can surf the web again.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: My router died

Post by Kieran » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:16 pm

I bought a Draytek around 8 years ago and haven't looked back. A little on the pricey side perhaps, but it's solid as a rock and the inbuilt features such as comprehensive firewall, easy support for a routed block of IPs and VPN server make it almost perfect. If you went this route you'd probably want to get a model that has an inbuilt ADSL modem, enabling you to connect over PPPoA and then handle all the routing stuff as well.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Cohrs

Post by Cohrs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Drayteks caught my eye too. Which model do you have, Kieran? And what would you recommend nowadays?
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:57 pm

I have the Vigor 2820, has an ADSL modem, wireless and support for a second WAN over ethernet, which I now use to support FTTC from Openreach via their stand-alone modem.

If you want a more up to date version and there are various good reasons to want this, you could try the Vigor 2860
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!