Router Upgrade Checker (Class II routers only)

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:12 pm

Perhaps a bug in the Solwise/Aztech firmware?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:09 pm

SyBorg wrote:Neo, are you happy with the labelling in the RUC then?
Well the firmware details from the router and what the manufacturer labels the firmware are two different things as you have seen - the RUC could have a lookup table to link the two, but I suspect different manufacturers may have different "labels". The RUC reads what it can from the router, which is usually sufficient to identify changes in the firmware and general points (as thechief has explained above). Also, the RT fws are a little more descriptive, which helps ;)
SyBorg wrote:Could this be the issue with the RUC failing trying to login to the webui then?
This could be the issue - as you know the RUC assumes they are both the same. I looked at the HTML you PMed me (thanks :) ) and it uses the same object names, so it doesn't look like the problem is the log in page. I'll add an option to specify the webui and telnet passwords separately...
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:25 pm

SyBorg, please try this version: Download v1.2.2 ;)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:39 am

Neo wrote:SyBorg, please try this version: Download v1.2.2 ;)
Got it. Will try it this evening when home again.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Well this is odd. :?

Specifying the different password made no difference in terms of it erroring at 100%. I then tried aborting the run to see where it got to. I did this at 38% (although it may have jumped to 40-something) and showed the report. I scrolled to the bottom and after 15-20 seconds the error appeared anyway. This is repeatable at that point - see ruc_error9.jpg

I then tried aborting it at a higher percentage (78%) and scrolled to the bottom of the report. No error generated - see ruc_78%.jpg
I tried higher percentages, no error. Lower percentages, no error. But aborting at 38% or leaving to 100% and I get the error. Very odd and rather flukey to hit the percentage that also errors, other than the fact it does pause there noticeably for a second or two.
Attachments
ruc_78%.jpg
ruc_78%.jpg (51.1 KiB) Viewed 15797 times
ruc_error9.jpg
ruc_error9.jpg (54.1 KiB) Viewed 15801 times
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:55 pm

There are several steps the RUC takes which have deliberate delays and timeouts (as you will have noticed from the log). Therefore, when it appears to hand, it doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. Aborting while the RUC is waiting for a time out at points prior to the error (e.g. 38%) is not going to reveal much.

I can add some more error reporting for the backup current config to find out precisely where this error is cropping up...
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:45 am

Neo wrote:There are several steps the RUC takes which have deliberate delays and timeouts (as you will have noticed from the log). Therefore, when it appears to hand, it doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. Aborting while the RUC is waiting for a time out at points prior to the error (e.g. 38%) is not going to reveal much.

I can add some more error reporting for the backup current config to find out precisely where this error is cropping up...
I'm not sure I explained myself clearly Neo. My point wasn't that there was a pause. It was that while aborting at the pause (at 38%) I get the same error as when the program runs to 100%. I thought this might give a clue as to what the problem is.
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:42 pm

OK, I follow you :) The fact is, the error is a fairly generic one so it's going to be generated by lots of different things ;) They aren't likely to be related or caused by the same problem.

Can you try this version: v1.2.3?

It has more error trapping, so if you let it run right to 100% and wait for the error to be encountered it should trap the error and say where the error came from.
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Neo wrote:Can you try this version: v1.2.3?

It has more error trapping, so if you let it run right to 100% and wait for the error to be encountered it should trap the error and say where the error came from.
Will do tonight.
—Bill Vaughan
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Here you go.

I'm about to pm the report to you Neo.
Attachments
ruc_message.jpg
ruc_message.jpg (50.66 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback & PM :)

Annoyingly the uncompressed config is so long that it exceeds the textbox's 64kB limit (so the log is missing the last bit where the error message is) but I think I have correctly intercepted the problem.

This version should give you the option to continue or not. If you don't choose to continue the log should give the reason, as I have used a workaround for the 64kB limit.

Version 1.2.4
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:21 pm

Yep, works a treat :thumb:

I can get on with upgrading the firmware now :D
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Great :) If possible, could you let me have the log again (which should have the error message at the end this time)? ;)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:33 pm

Neo wrote:Great :) If possible, could you let me have the log again (which should have the error message at the end this time)? ;)
Hmm. I thought I would have it but the only log is truncated. I'll try again (although probably not tonight as it's my wife's birthday)
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:36 pm

SyBorg wrote:I'll try again (although probably not tonight as it's my wife's birthday)
Thanks Sy, no hurry, best wishes to Mrs Borg :D :wish: