router upgrade checker program won't run

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:39 pm

@Neo - LOL :lol:

Hi John - just downloaded and installed both - just need to choose different installation folders.

You will probably need to set up shortcuts for the different application .exe files a s on my system I only eneded up with the start menu having a reference to one of the versions - despite giving the second install a different startup folder name ..... but both versions run :D
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:54 pm

Yes I have the 'check*txt' file in the RUC folder. So that is one thing that is going all right.

When I right click on the command box it pastes some text -info savedfrom one of your web pages- into the command box. Incidently, I always have trouble closing the command box. I have to force it to 'end now'. should this be?

PC Tools. I don't have a Texas Inst app. I unzipped it to a folder on the desktop. there is a SETUP.EXE in the folder TI.Remote.AP.360. will this do or have i the wrong download.

John
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:23 pm

zitnok wrote:Yes I have the 'check*txt' file in the RUC folder. So that is one thing that is going all right.
Great :)
zitnok wrote:Incidently, I always have trouble closing the command box. I have to force it to 'end now'. should this be?
That's normal - to close it properly you need to type 'exit' and then press 'Enter' on the keyboard for telnet to close. Then you can safely close the command box ;)
zitnok wrote:PC Tools. I don't have a Texas Inst app. I unzipped it to a folder on the desktop. there is a SETUP.EXE in the folder TI.Remote.AP.360. will this do or have i the wrong download.
Yep, you just need to run the SETUP.EXE - that should install PCTool ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:09 pm

Just to go back a step. I mentioned that when i right - clicked in the command box it pasted in some tesxt that i had saved. how do i stop that happening?

I thought I had downloaded two different versions of PCTool but now that i have installed them they seem to both be v2.3. They don't appear in 'add/remove programs' so how do i get rid of one of them. And I appear to have lost the link to the PCTool page. Would you please give it to me again.?

Thanks,
John
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:57 pm

Before I take the leap could I just check that I have all the backup the installation.html asks for?

[a] your current firmware (or at least ensure that you have a backup of a working firmware) I downloaded a copy of 63.68.1
your current configuration- check*.txt in RUC folder
[c] the contents of your bootloader environment ?
[d] the contents of your router's /etc/led.conf file ?
Reading all the warnings, precautions and both your instructions I am not sure if I have all this saved.
Would appreciate the assurance that it is ready to go.
Jon
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Hi John,

The txt file output from the RUC utility should contain everything that you need to have a backup of (except the original f/w of course) so just check the contenets of the .txt file in the folder that you installed the RUC into :)
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:21 pm

zitnok wrote: your current configuration- check*.txt in RUC folder
The check*.txt doesn't hold you current configuration. The RUC folder should have a file called *default_config.xml (as explained in the readme.tx file) but that is the default configuration. to backup up your current configuration you need to:
  • Click on 'System' from the top menu
  • Click on 'Update Gateway' on the left hand side
  • Click on the 'Backup Configuration' button
  • Save the config.bin file somewhere safe on your PC
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:40 pm

I seem to have a different router webpage from the one described upgrade.html and your instructions. Mine has these menus = Save Settings, Restart Router, Basic, Advanced, Security, Status and Help. I can find 'Update Gateway' under Advanced/ Firmware Upgrade. But I cant' find 'Setup/ New Connection'
And the business about LEDs not being correct.... How do you find what your routers LED is supposed to be.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 pm

zitnok wrote:I seem to have a different router webpage from the one described upgrade.html and your instructions. Mine has these menus = Save Settings, Restart Router, Basic, Advanced, Security, Status and Help. I can find 'Update Gateway' under Advanced/ Firmware Upgrade. But I cant' find 'Setup/ New Connection'
Ah, that's probably because I was using the webpage from RT firmware as a reference - which you don't have yet :lol: To be honest, you can probably manage without backing up your settings if you haven't changed much since you bought the router. You'll probably just need to re-enter your ISP login details once you have upgraded your router, and not much else (assuming you haven't made a lot of changes).
zitnok wrote:And the business about LEDs not being correct.... How do you find what your routers LED is supposed to be.
The LED stuff should be saved in the check*.txt file. Also, the LEDs don't need to be working correctly for the router to function and get online. So you can get the LEDs working after the upgrade by using the batch (*.bat) files in the led folder that should be included with the firmware. We can come back to the LEDs after you have upgraded ;)
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 pm

HI,
The upgrade was succesfull. I am connected to the internet.
HOw do I proceed to deal with the wonky LED lights.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:11 pm

That's great :)

To correct the LEDs:

There should be a folder in the firmware folder called 'led' with several files including ts.exe, sar600.bat, sar600.txt. To fix the LEDs, you can just double click on the sar600.bat file.

If you have changed the password or the router's IP is not 192.168.1.1 then you will need to edit the sar600.txt file accordingly ;)
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 pm

Success. Everything is stable. Thanks both of you for your patience and all your help getting me through this. I hope this puts an end to the interupted connectivity I have been suffering for the last 6 weeks.
Best wishes,
John

P.S. What was the PC-Tool(s) for and what do I do with them now?
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 pm

Congradt John - you're very welcome and I'm glad you're sorted - hope your line keeps up now :)

The PCTOOL utilities are for recovery purposes if the router upgrade failed and left yor router inaccessible so don't worry about them :wink:

If you still keep having poor connectivity post back - the RT firmware has some options that may help with poor line conditions. :)
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:06 pm

zitnok wrote:Thanks both of you for your patience and all your help getting me through this.
You're welcome :)
zitnok wrote:I hope this puts an end to the interupted connectivity I have been suffering for the last 6 weeks.
I hope so too ;)