router upgrade checker program won't run

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:41 pm

I can get into the command prompt and get as far as 'BusyBox on<none> login: root Password:'
then I can type nothing
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:16 pm

zitnok wrote:I can get into the command prompt and get as far as 'BusyBox on<none> login: root Password:'
then I can type nothing
Just type the password letters "Admin" (without the quotes) followed by "return"- it doesn't echo back to the screen
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:51 pm

I did several times and I finally got this:
BusyBox v0.61.pre <2006.01.05-02:59+0000> Built-in shell <ash> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands #
Enter and a list of commands appears. I forgotten what I am meant to do now.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:07 pm

zitnok wrote:I did several times and I finally got this:
BusyBox v0.61.pre <2006.01.05-02:59+0000> Built-in shell <ash> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands #
Enter and a list of commands appears. I forgotten what I am meant to do now.
Hi that means that you now have a valid password for your admin account so try running the RUC again and enter Admin as the user and Admin as the password - assuming that you used Admin as the password when you used telnet.....
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:22 pm

zitnok wrote:In RUC I used username=admin and password=47x2sbam. Is that where I went wrong?
Yep, it should have been username=root and password=47x2sbam - doesn't matter now anyway as you have got further with Shotokan101's advice :)

By the way, both the username and password are case-sensitive - in other words Admin is not the same admin to the RUC or router ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:30 pm

Finally. It says: select the latest 'routertech-ar7rd-adam2-4ports-firmware-20070227.zip
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:37 pm

Fantastic! :D
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:49 pm

Can I now install the firmware.? I have downloaded the zip and have unzipped it to a folder on my desk top. Or do I download the PCTool first?
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:57 pm

It might be a good idea to download PCTool first and to read through all the documentation that comes with the firmware (should be in the folder you have unzipped on your desktop). After reading it all, you can install the firmware but make sure you follow the upgrade instructions (in upgrade.html) to the letter ;) Don't rush it and you should be fine :)
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:08 am

I think I will leave that till the morning and a fresh brain. Thanks for al the help and patience.
Best wishes,
John
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:14 am

You're welcome, John :)

Let us know how you get on ;)
zitnok
Novice
Novice

Post by zitnok » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:57 pm

Good morning.
As one of the precautions I ran the command 'cat /proc/ticfg/env' but I don't know how to save the results to a file.

I have downloaded two versions of PC Tools. I cant' figure out how to install it. And do you install two versions of the same program?

How do you back up your current firmware?

Thanks again,
John
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 pm

zitnok wrote:Good morning.
As one of the precautions I ran the command 'cat /proc/ticfg/env' but I don't know how to save the results to a file.

I have downloaded two versions of PC Tools. I cant' figure out how to install it. And do you install two versions of the same program?

How do you back up your current firmware?

Thanks again,
John
Hi John,

To save a copy of your command output just follow the same instructions at the end of this article :-

pages.php?page=10

The readme for the pctool v2.3 which i have simply requires the pctool zip file contents to be unzipped into an appropriate directory so simply unzip the different versions into differently named folders - there doesn't seem to be a "formal installation" required - just unzip and run. :)

You can't easily backup your existing loaded firmware without special equipment so simply download the firmware from your router manufacturer's website prior to upgrading :wink:

Jim
Jim

Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:10 pm

Ooops - didn't look far enough - hold off till I install the tools - theer is a setup require within the folder structure - let me try it out and post back :wink:
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:11 pm

I see that as I'm writing this, Shotokan101 has beaten me to it :D
zitnok wrote:Good morning.
Good afternoon :) (at least where I am ;) )
zitnok wrote:As one of the precautions I ran the command 'cat /proc/ticfg/env' but I don't know how to save the results to a file.
If the you left the option ticked in the RUC then it should have saved this in the same folder - it would be called check*.txt (where * represents the day and time). Do you have any files matching that description in the RUC folder?
zitnok wrote:I have downloaded two versions of PC Tools. I cant' figure out how to install it. And do you install two versions of the same program?
It should be possible to install them by running the unzipped .exe file. It will be called "Texas Instruments App" or similar and normally reside in "C:\Program Files\Texas Instruments Inc". You can install both versions as long as you choose different locations/folders ;)
zitnok wrote:How do you back up your current firmware?
That's a bit longwinded and not really necessary if you have the check*.txt file. The file should hold the important bits and it should also list your current firmware which should be download-able from Solwise.
zitnok wrote:Thanks again
No problem :)