Router Rebooter

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Router Rebooter

Post by SyBorg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:03 pm

As suggested, a fresh thread for discussions around Neo's Router Rebooter found here.

The Router Rebooter is a small utility that checks for Internet connectivity by pinging a set IP address. If a response is not received after the preset number of attempts then a reboot command is issued to the router (assuming the router IP, Admin ID and Password are correct). Any failed pings, reboots etc are logged.

---

Neo,

I've played around with the Router Rebooter and found the following works well.

[Router details]
Username=admin
Router IP=192.168.1.254
Router Port=80
Password=
[Utility settings]
Auto pilot=0
Reboot page=/reset/index.html?factory=E0
Reboot complete page=/status.html
Timeout minutes=4
Ping IP=216.239.57.99
Ping Interval=2
Ping retries=5

I'm not sure on the logic you are using for checking the router comes back up (working ping, 'complete page' available etc). My router takes longer to reboot and establish a connection than the other types I think. I was finding that it had rebooted and was waiting for ADSL Sync when the router rebooter attempted to ping, failed and went for another reboot
:D

The app told me that the reboot took 154 seconds.

Edit by Neo - inserted intro by SyBorg
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:08 pm

SyBorg wrote: Reboot page=/reset/index.html?factory=E0
I forgot to mention that the 'factory=E0' is for Current Settings, 'factory=E1' is for Factory Default Settings.
We learn something every day, and lots of times it’s that what we learned the day before was wrong.
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:24 pm

Thanks for all the information ;)

Perhaps we ought to start a separate thread for the rebooter rather than use your log scanner one?
SyBorg wrote:I'm not sure on the logic you are using for checking the router comes back up (working ping, 'complete page' available etc). My router takes longer to reboot and establish a connection than the other types I think. I was finding that it had rebooted and was waiting for ADSL Sync when the router rebooter attempted to ping, failed and went for another reboot
:D

The app told me that the reboot took 154 seconds.
Ah, well the rebooter looks for the "Reboot complete page" as defined in the ini. When the Origo 8400 reboots, it is redirected from "doreboot.htm" to "rbdone.htm", therefore a successful reboot is detected by looking for "rbdone.htm" in the URL.

If you do a manual reboot from your browser and look at the URL after it has rebooted that should give you the page name.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Router Rebooter

Post by SyBorg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:57 pm

Following on from the tests earlier....

For the Billion 7402VGP the page after the reboot is the 'status.html' page, so I guessed right :D

Also, although I mentioned the variable value for 'reset to factory defaults', obviously this would be one of the daftest things you could do in a utility designed to recover connectivity :lol:

Edit by Neo - intro moved to top post, removed link to other thread
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:50 am

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved some posts across to this one :). If you want the thread to make a bit more sense when reading it from the start, you might want to move your intro into the top post ;)
SyBorg wrote:...My router takes longer to reboot and establish a connection than the other types I think. I was finding that it had rebooted and was waiting for ADSL Sync when the router rebooter attempted to ping, failed and went for another reboot
Can I just confirm then, that a timeout of 4 minutes means that the problem you were experiencing with premature rebooting is resolved?

Edit: I have moved your splendid intro to the top post ;)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:09 pm

Neo,

No problem with moving of the posts. I would have done it if I knew how (or had the power).

Yes, the timeout set to 4 minutes means that the Rebooter works exactly as it should. It may be possible to bring it down to 3 minutes, but I'm not sure that this makes a lot of difference in the long run.

FYI, I've another way of sorting these sorts of connections dropping. When I noticed my link was down yesterday I phoned my wife to power cycle the router :lol:
I noticed it was down due to another web based utility, I will start a separate thread to give details on that.
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:21 pm

SyBorg wrote:No problem with moving of the posts. I would have done it if I knew how (or had the power).
Hmmm...I'd have to check on your powers :oops:
SyBorg wrote:Yes, the timeout set to 4 minutes means that the Rebooter works exactly as it should. It may be possible to bring it down to 3 minutes, but I'm not sure that this makes a lot of difference in the long run.
OK, that's great - I doubt anyone minds the extra minute just to be on the safe side. I'll start working on incorporating multiple settings for different routers ;).
SyBorg wrote:FYI, I've another way of sorting these sorts of connections dropping. When I noticed my link was down yesterday I phoned my wife to power cycle the router :lol:
:D That's a novel approach ;)
SyBorg wrote:I noticed it was down due to another web based utility, I will start a separate thread to give details on that.
Sounds intriguing...
lnquang

Post by lnquang » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:54 am

I use the follow config for D-Link g604t upgraded to RouterTech 2.1 firmware, but it can not reboot the router. RR having bug? The link work fine in browser, reboot immediately but RR fail to reboot!

[Router details]
Username=Admin
Router IP=192.168.1.1
Router Port=80
[Utility settings]
Auto pilot=0
Reboot page=/cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/defs/style5/menus/menu.html&var:style=style5
&var:main=menu&var:menu=tools&var:menutitle=Tools&var:pagename=restart&var:pagetitle=Restart
Reboot complete page=/cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/defs/style5/menus/menu.html&var:main=menu
&var:style=style5&var:menu=tools&var:menutitle=Tools&var:pagename=commands&var:pagetitle=System%20Commands
Timeout minutes=4
Ping IP=216.239.57.99
Ping Interval=2
Ping retries=5

Edit by Neo: resized ini file code and inserted line breaks to reduce post width
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi lnquang, thanks for the feedback :)

Unfortunately the Class II routers require the Router Rebooter to 'log in' in a different way to the approach the Router Rebooter currently uses. I will add the ability to login to the next version of the RR ;)
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 pm

HERE is version 1.4.0, which should work with Class II routers. However it is in a beta state and does need some further testing ;)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:28 pm

Neo,

I still play occasionally with the rebooter tool but I have a new need.
Occasionally my wife is on the computer upstairs while I'm playing with the laptop. Sometimes then I don't want the rebooter running because I may have taken down the connection while changing firmware or cabling etc. So this means that I forget to setup the rebooter again.

Can we get a 'light' version that is only a big 'Reset' button? It can then prompt for confirmation before doing it. All of the config should be in the ini file so that it removes all prospect for confusion for my wife.

I could code this myself but wondered if it could/should be incorporated into the current tool??

(and you would make it look better) :lol:
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:59 am

Sounds like something that could easily be incorporated in to the existing rebooter ;)

Is the functionality of this where you want it? :)
Download v1.4.1

If you click on the 'Shrunken mode' button the window will shrink down. If you want this to be the default startup state then tick the 'Shrink on load' checkbox ;)

You can even change the caption of the button in the INI file if you wish ;)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:01 pm

Certainly looks good Neo, that's one button that will be hard to miss! :thumb:
I'll try it out when home tonight.

Just want to check one thing - when "shrunken" the countdown timer for the ping/reboot is disabled, yes?

EDIT: I found how to get back to full mode without restarting and confirmed the timer had stopped. I wondered if you had put that in somewhere to help with testing :D
—Bill Vaughan
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:17 pm

SyBorg wrote:Certainly looks good Neo, that's one button that will be hard to miss! :thumb:
;)
SyBorg wrote:I'll try it out when home tonight.
Cool :)
SyBorg wrote:Just want to check one thing - when "shrunken" the countdown timer for the ping/reboot is disabled, yes?
Yep :nod:
SyBorg wrote:EDIT: I found how to get back to full mode without restarting and confirmed the timer had stopped. I wondered if you had put that in somewhere to help with testing :D
Wondered if you would discover it :) - yes it helps in testing but I also thought more advanced users like yourself might want to change the settings occasionally via the GUI ;)
SyBorg
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by SyBorg » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:23 pm

Works good. :D
Does exactly what I wanted thanks Neo.
—Bill Vaughan