telnet echo'ed value not saved after resetting router

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
SimpleNick

telnet echo'ed value not saved after resetting router

Post by SimpleNick » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:10 pm

Is there a way to save the values after resetting router / gateway?

i'm using a DSL605EW with stock firmware, been try to hack to RT firmware but doesn't seemed to support.

i'm able to telnet into the gateway and echo'ed some value say,
"echo 6151 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max"

i'm able to,
"cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max"
and returned the new value.

but the value is reverted back to the default 1024 after router reset.

is there a way to make it permanent/non-volatile?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Is this yours?
The Aztech DSL605EW ADSL2+ Wireless 4 Port Router uses new generation Texas Instruments AR7 with 1350A for wireless combined Chipset solution
Then don't brick it with Routertech firmware!
(DO NOT USE WITH ROUTERS USING THE TNETW1350A WIRELESS CHIP)
Lots of options in Routertech firmware to make change stick, but with stock firmware this needs to be done by telnet after reboot, could be made easier with the telnet scripter tool, customized to you liking..

viewtopic.php?t=282
SimpleNick

Post by SimpleNick » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:50 am

mstombs wrote:Is this yours?
The Aztech DSL605EW ADSL2+ Wireless 4 Port Router uses new generation Texas Instruments AR7 with 1350A for wireless combined Chipset solution
Then don't brick it with Routertech firmware!
(DO NOT USE WITH ROUTERS USING THE TNETW1350A WIRELESS CHIP)
Lots of options in Routertech firmware to make change stick, but with stock firmware this needs to be done by telnet after reboot, could be made easier with the telnet scripter tool, customized to you liking..

viewtopic.php?t=282
Right, Aztech DSL605EW.

so in other words, there's no way to make it stick, with stock firmware?
will be testing out with the telnet scripter, in fact i got the commands from there too.
I don't see any "Apply" command in the script, is the changes of the telnet script effective immediately after echo'ed?
If not, how to enforced these newly amended but unsaved rules?

been looking at Solwise and Openwrt as well, but this model 605EW just doesn't seemed supported.
Is that really the case or am i missing something important?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 am

As far as I know the Linux echo commands are active immediately when given on the router. The target file is a virtual interface to the kernel, not a real file.

I think it is only a matter of time before the new chip is supportable - see other comments on this forum.

viewtopic.php?t=986&highlight=tnetw1350a
viewtopic.php?t=1190&highlight=tnetw1350a

I notice that the Aztech website doesn't even acknowledge their products use GPL components, so not much prospect of them releasing buildable sourcecode. As you own one why don't you ask them?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:18 pm

As I said in one of those threads, some kernel sources are available from Acorp. It takes some considerable effort to build the kernel and thereafter produce a functional firmware, and there were many fudges along the way. However, we do actually have functional firmwares based on these kernel sources, but they are nowhere near being ready for public consumption. Neither do we want to visit the effort required to produce a functional firmware on anyone else (of course the sources are there and people can do that all by themselves).

All this may well impact on whether the binary firmwares (whenever they become stable enough for public consumption - and that is unlikely to be anytime soon) ever get released. But we shall see ...
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.