Netgear DG834GT Router Toolbox

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Netgear DG834GT Router Toolbox

Post by Neo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:48 pm

This software makes it very easy for owners of the Netgear DG834GT (which Sky Broadband customers often receive) to:
  • Obtain the ISP (e.g. Sky) login details
  • Obtain the ADSL statistics
  • Start and stop the telnet (providing telnet access)
Download Here

Thanks to TheChief for suggesting to make this software in the first place :)
Last edited by Neo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Grotius
Novice
Novice

Post by Grotius » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Seems that Sky are trying to do something about it. Read this:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... p=17554295
Fearless Fang - redeemed from The Dark Side (now The Dead Side). RouterTech Rocks!
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Based on the link Grotius provided, It appears there may be a change coming to the Sky issued router. Preventing this type of software obtaining login details etc.

Is it possible for Sky to remotely force a firmware change if this router is running their originally issued firmware?

If that is the case I would think it most unethical to expose their users with a router which has access from the WAN enabled like that.

Once upgraded to the RT firmware, is it correct the the router is fully protected from such backdoor access?
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:58 pm

While I can see why Sky might want to prevent this sort of access (after they must have had their reasons when 'locking' the Netgear routers in the first place, as several ISPs do), this software is only providing an easier way of the manual approach outlined on the AsinineMonkey website. IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with giving people more control/choice. I can't see a problem with being able to monitor the ADSL stats...
Someone on http://forums.itweek.co.uk wrote:As part of your T+Cs sky insist that you use their router.. and updating the firmware is considered a breach of your contract
At the moment, it seems the 'information' on digitalspy is here-say and speculation as Sky haven't publicly outlined their strategy AFAIK.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:01 pm

Yes, it is possible that Sky is able to upgrade the firmware automatically. And, yes, if they do so without your permission, then that would really suck. But I am sure that they would have covered themselves somewhere in their small print.

The Sky Netgear router is not supported by RT firmwares. However, any router running an RT firmware would be immune to any existing backdoor in the Sky-supplied router.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 pm

Just been reading this: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum

Perhaps, then, it's only routers sold after a specific (very recent!) date, with the most recent firmware? :?
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:15 pm

thechief wrote:The Sky Netgear router is not supported by RT firmwares. However, any router running an RT firmware would be immune to any existing backdoor in the Sky-supplied router.
Sorry if I implied it was. I was having a blonde moment.

That said, I'm glad it's clear that the RT firmware removes any backdoor access to the router which ISPs or suppliers may have intentionally left in there.

p.s. no offence to blondes
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:31 pm

Steve wrote:
thechief wrote:The Sky Netgear router is not supported by RT firmwares. However, any router running an RT firmware would be immune to any existing backdoor in the Sky-supplied router.
Sorry if I implied it was. I was having a blonde moment.

That said, I'm glad it's clear that the RT firmware removes any backdoor access to the router which ISPs or suppliers may have intentionally left in there.

p.s. no offence to blondes
None Taken :lol:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Alan
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:40 pm

It's the fact that you will be stuck with their router of choice instead your router of choice. What if you want a print server? for example :roll:
I Wanna Live 'till I Die!
Grotius
Novice
Novice

Post by Grotius » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Neo wrote:Just been reading this: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum

Perhaps, then, it's only routers sold after a specific (very recent!) date, with the most recent firmware? :?
Well, as I said in that thread, I only received my router last week, and your utility works. Perhaps there's a different batch, or perhaps someone's router got upgraded during the midnight (wouldn't know about that because my router is off at night - doing my bit for the environment :)).
Fearless Fang - redeemed from The Dark Side (now The Dead Side). RouterTech Rocks!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:50 pm

One of the posts implied that the "new" router was only as an "alternative" for Tech Ssupport to provide if they though it necessary...... :?
Jim

Grotius
Novice
Novice

Post by Grotius » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Let's just say that anyone considering moving to Sky BB should first read this thread and then think very carefully about whether they wish to submit themselves to that regime.

I predict a healthy Ebay market in Sky routers with V1 firmware, as techies start longing for the freedom it gives them. Perhaps I might be able to sell mine for one grand someday. :smirk:
__pravin__

Post by __pravin__ » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:14 pm

Hello all

Seems like routers from sky no more allow telnet access. Mine is a netgear DG834GT and when i try to telnet, it starts asking for a login and password for the firmware. I reckon this should not be the case, please let me know how to go about it.

I would like to get a new router if it doesnt let me in and use it instead. However i read in one of the forums that sky assigns IP based on physical address of the router which worries me. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:19 pm

Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:34 pm

__pravin__ wrote:Seems like routers from sky no more allow telnet access. Mine is a netgear DG834GT and when i try to telnet, it starts asking for a login and password for the firmware. I reckon this should not be the case, please let me know how to go about it.
I take it you have tried enabling telnet access using the Netgear DG834GT Router Toolbox? Do the other functions work?