Router Stats Logger

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Neo - is this version Vista compatible ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri May 09, 2008 11:07 pm

It's not very different from earlier versions in terms of compatibility:
studioeng wrote:Yeah I read through it; I already had VB6 runtimes installed and I used RUC just before it, and just now with v1.2.5; so must be Vista. I'll just have to try it when I get home with my tried and tested Win XP machine :D

Edit: *SLAPS HAND* Okay I just set it to run in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and ran as Administrator; it now works ... :roll: (such an idiot!)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:09 pm

...I could go off you Neo - yes EVEN MORE ! :!:
Jim

Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri May 09, 2008 11:12 pm

:? :surrender:
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 pm

:2gether:

...still get this when in XP SP2 compatibility mode...
Attachments
stats logger error popup vista xp sp2 compatibility mode.jpg
stats logger error popup vista xp sp2 compatibility mode.jpg (15.88 KiB) Viewed 12973 times
Jim

flusk

Post by flusk » Thu May 22, 2008 9:58 am

Excellent looking utility for us technology obsessives.

I have just installed v1.0.23 on XP SP2, running against RouterTech 2.5 installed on a SAR-600EW R type.

I get many of these errors:

#2008-05-22 09:50:12#,"9","Subscript out of range","modBitTable","DrawSNRTable","Router Stats Logger v1.0.23","YYYYY","XXXX"
#2008-05-22 09:50:13#,"9","Subscript out of range","modBitTable","DrawBitTable","Router Stats Logger v1.0.23","YYYYY","XXXX"

And a lack of graphs except for bandwidth.

Any ideas what is wrong?
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 22, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks for the feedback, flusk :)

Can you run THIS script with the Telnet Scripter and either post or PM the results to me please?

It looks like the graph data is either missing or it might have a strange values...
flusk

Post by flusk » Thu May 22, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks for the quick reply - script results are attached.

One thing I have noticed is that I only get the errors if I use the Get Router Info button. If I configure things to start monitoring on launch it is happily logging the DS SNR margin and bandwidth graphs (but nothing else as far as I can see) without any errors.
Attachments
rsl_out.zip
script output
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 22, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks for the data :)

I have been able to import your data without any problems so the raw data is OK. Do you happen to have a non-zero value for "Limit bit allocation and RxSNR graph to first X values" on the settings tab? If so, try setting it to 0 and see if that makes any difference ;)
flusk

Post by flusk » Thu May 22, 2008 3:01 pm

I have changed the default value of 256 to a 0, which seems to prevent the graph errors but doesn't really improve things much beyond that.

If I watch what is happening with Wireshark after startup and without activating bandwith monitoring or pressing the Get Router Info Button I see:

cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_dsl_modulation_schemes "no_where"\r\n
cat /proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats "no_where"\r\n

getenv enable_margin_retrain\r\n
getenv margin_threshold\r\n
getenv DSL_FEATURE_CNTL_0\r\n
getenv DSL_FEATURE_CNTL_1\r\n
getenv DSL_PHY_CNTL_0\r\n

(using 2 telnet logins)

I get the SNR margin history graph plotted and updating, but no other graphs.

The app spends a lot of time with "Getting margin threshold..." at the bottom of the screen which seems to be tied to several options being greyed out. I can't see that it is waiting for the router while it is doing this so what does it mean?

Not sure if it is relevant but I forgot say that I don't run an Administrator account, only Power User - this has sometimes made a difference with other software gadgets.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 22, 2008 3:37 pm

flusk wrote:I have changed the default value of 256 to a 0, which seems to prevent the graph errors but doesn't really improve things much beyond that.
OK, it's good that the error message has gone. Using the "Get Router Info" button should now get the data and draw all the graphs for you :)
flusk wrote:If I watch what is happening with Wireshark after startup and without activating bandwith monitoring or pressing the Get Router Info Button I see
There shouldn't be any network activity unless something is pressed or some monitoring is active. Perhaps you have ticked the 'Start monitoring automatically on load' option?
flusk wrote:I get the SNR margin history graph plotted and updating, but no other graphs.
Sounds like you have the monitoring switched on because in that mode only the SNR margin history would be updated. This is because it's inefficient to refresh all the graphs at a regular interval when the SNR margin is the main priority.
flusk wrote:The app spends a lot of time with "Getting margin threshold..." at the bottom of the screen which seems to be tied to several options being greyed out.
The greying out is normal...it takes a few seconds to read the threshold on my set up, how many seconds does it take on yours? Retrieving the threshold isn't really necessary when monitoring the connection, so in future versions I'll skip this step.
flusk wrote:I can't see that it is waiting for the router while it is doing this so what does it mean?
There are several stages required in retrieving the threshold and the router performs several grep commands and there are necessary delays involved, so if it's taking a few seconds then it's normal behaviour.
flusk wrote:Not sure if it is relevant but I forgot say that I don't run an Administrator account, only Power User - this has sometimes made a difference with other software gadgets.
It shouldn't be relevant but thanks for the info ;)
flusk

Post by flusk » Thu May 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Yes I did have the SNR monitoring at load option turned on, and yes by turning it off I can see most of the graphs now after pressing the Get Router Info button :D

I don't see the two power spectrum graphs, but I have even less idea what they are about than the ones I can see :wink: . So thanks for sorting me out - very nice graphs they are too.

I am still seeing some issues where the App is seemingly missing replies (or the router isn't ever responding), but they are intermittent. If I get time I may investigate, but off for a week's hols on Saturday so probably not any time soon.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 22, 2008 10:20 pm

flusk wrote:I don't see the two power spectrum graphs...
That's to be expected...they are only available to ADSL2+ users ;)
flusk wrote:I am still seeing some issues where the App is seemingly missing replies (or the router isn't ever responding), but they are intermittent. If I get time I may investigate, but off for a week's hols on Saturday so probably not any time soon.
A couple of seconds delay is normal (if that is the length of delay you are seeing)...if it's more then it could be a problem with the frequency of the monitoring (it shouldn't be too frequent) or the connection (if you were using the wireless connection) or something else...
the_flames
Regular
Regular

Post by the_flames » Fri May 23, 2008 2:47 pm

I'm having a little issue with this, when I press the "Get router info" button it looks like it has retrieved all the information I've asked for up to the point were if finds the Max connection speed - upload section and then it freezes. the text at the bottom says "Getting Margin threshold..."

Ive tried this under XP pro sp2 x86, and Vista Ultimate x64, and received the same issue each time .

any Ideas?
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri May 23, 2008 3:10 pm

My comments would be similar to those I made to flusk, as above.

In addition, you might want to tick the 'compatibility mode' under the settings tab to see if that improves things.