Router Stats Logger

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I've got the program to run under wine, can't see the buttons or images, but was able to enter/store the router IP address - but it crashes if I click in where the buttons should be!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:09 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Neo - any reason why the tools won't run under Wine or simlar environments ?
Windows DLL hell?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:07 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Neo - any reason why the tools won't run under Wine or simlar environments ?
The issue WINE came up over 3 years ago :lol: And again in 2007 ( viewtopic.php?p=23694&highlight=wine#23694 )

It has been mentioned/discussed before - It's akin to not all classic games working in emulators...

Does all software written for XP work perfectly in Vista and Windows 7? Does all software written for Windows work in WINE?

I have got the RSL running in Vista, so it may be possible to get it working in Window 7 without much extra work.
I've got the program to run under wine, can't see the buttons or images, but was able to enter/store the router IP address - but it crashes if I click in where the buttons should be!
Clearly the bespoke buttons will need some tweaking to work in WINE :)
thechief wrote:Windows DLL hell?
While I have tried to reduce dependencies as much as possible, this could be the reason in some cases. But I suspect it's more complicated and more specific than that. In some programs specific hardware is interogated or commands are called that aren't supported in the emulator/OS.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Well I've just tried running the RSL in Windows 7 (in a virtual machine) and it worked fine, first time :) No configuration, compatibility settings etc whatsoever!
Attachments
RSL_Win7.jpg
RSL under Windows 7
rsl_win7_test.zip
The rest of the RSL Windows 7 test screenshots
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 884 times
eua
Novice
Novice

Post by eua » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:27 pm

I installed RSL to WinXP virtual machine and program has some instabilities. Not working functionally like bandwidth usage is blacks and SNR graphic is goes blank if you press button router stats..... Its working weird. Might be my router not configured well...

About donation-ware status of RSL. I wonder if you have a donation for RSL? Because my 400K downloaded program has no donation from stranger. Only my two friend donated :) Is that because of being open sourced? :D

Rebuild RSL from scratch is pointless. I can build one but every program needs support after release for debugging and for adding new features.
If Neo try to support it's own version and I try to support my cross compiled version, than there is waste of work power.

If the "community" is behind the cross compileable open sourced clone, than everyone join development and everyone give support for code. Thats point of being open source. But if project coded and supported by "only" me than there is no difference than current state of RSL.

So Its better to inspect and try to fix snmp code on fw 2,9 ( its looks broken ). Thanks.
eMuNiX
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by eMuNiX » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Just thought I would post my log, just to show what a strong signal looks like :) I hope one day Sky decide to lift the 16meg limit, I could get 21meg according to the logger. :shock:

Before anyone asks I am running XP with the Zune theme, Viorb for the Vista style button and the RKLauncher at the top is really good for that Mac/KDE style, less clickage to get to your most used apps.
Attachments
logger.jpg
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:01 pm

eMuNiX wrote:I hope one day Sky decide to lift the 16meg limit, I could get 21meg according to the logger. :shock:
Some are so fortunate ... :wellup:
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
fatbozz
Novice
Novice

Routertech 2.9

Post by fatbozz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi, I Have RT 2.9 on my Dlink 684T, but RSL cant load any data. Im using RSL 1.0.28. When i click Get Router info any other button is not clickable ( grey out ) and do not respon on any other clicks. ORBMT is comunicating with RT 2.9 ok.

1.0.26 Works well

I tried catch some packet with wireshark. seems to RSL send one icmp to check router is alive. router answer ok. Then RSL send 3x SYN to Router, but no answer
fatbozz
Novice
Novice

Ping

Post by fatbozz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:47 pm

It would be fine to check ping from router, not from computer, where RSL is launched. For example. I have DSL up and No PPP is up. Ok i switch to backup, but i want be informed when DSL is ok.
-
Now Ping is set to ping via backup with RSL.
boykunk
Novice
Novice

Post by boykunk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:04 am

Hey Neo,
is it possible to send me a copy of RSL, since your site is down atm.
I haven't been on routertech for awhile and is very eager to try RSL.
Thanks
richms

Re: Router Stats Logger

Post by richms » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Just trying this out now, but it stalls at Getting basic information when I press get router info.

I have a netgear DG632 which should be supported, I can enable telnet with the debug command (which I have done so I could make it only do adsl2+ mode) and when running router stats logger it is accepting my telnet connections.

It cant get logs or anything from the router, but it does come up with router status online at the top right of the stats tab.

Have changed it to ping my web host and it will ping that and show the connection up correctly as well.

SHould it work with the router? Its the stock firmware on it, and it is ar7 based.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 am

Hi,

If enabling/using Telnet requires a special command then the RSL is unlikely to be able to obtain all the info it needs.

The RSL was written with the RouterTech firmware in mind, so it is going to work most efficiently with that firmware.

The main telnet commands the RSL use are in the RSL script for the telnet scripter. If you can get that script to run (with modification) then the RSL might be OK (if I then apply the modifications to the RSL).
KevinR
Regular
Regular

Post by KevinR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:09 am

Hi Neo. I've been running the RSL v1.0.27 rather hard for the last week or so (on a Win/2000 PC). Its mainly running iconised in the tray.

I've noticed an annoying habit.... After a fairly random period it stops updating the statistics in the stats.csv and stats.txt files. I think the on screen process & graph keeps running but I can't be 100% sure. At one point I thought it was my fault for accidentally running two instances of it, or opening (or copying) the stats file(s). It did it again tonight about an hour after I restarted it though when I hadn't interfered directly.

Have you had any similar reports before or shall i try and keep an eye on it for causes?

Also - Am I correct in thinking that blanking the "Ping IP" field is a good (the best?) way to stop the PING Test from actually running? I am assuming that the "Start Monitoring" button really does control BOTH the ping test and the stats recording. I wanted to disable the ping due to variable results via my ISP and thus some unwanted router reboots.

As a future enhancement it might be handy to have the stats file(s?) rollover at some point, being renamed as stats-1, stats-2, etc. Say on a button press, or a given time or interval or simply at midday (since nights are usually the interesting bit). Then the likes of me could leave it running undisturbed for days but still grab the data at least once a day or after a significant event!

Thanks.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi Kevin,

I haven't seen the problem myself (or heard similar reports), but then I haven't been monitoring my router stats for some time. If you did have the log files open in something else (like notepad or Excel) then that could explain it. Another possibility is the file size might cause problems or in some cases an error in fetching the stats from the router could stop the log files getting updated.
KevinR wrote:Am I correct in thinking that blanking the "Ping IP" field is a good (the best?) way to stop the PING Test from actually running? I am assuming that the "Start Monitoring" button really does control BOTH the ping test and the stats recording. I wanted to disable the ping due to variable results via my ISP and thus some unwanted router reboots.
Well that would stop the ping test from working, but the idea of the ping test is to determine whether the connection is UP or DOWN which is part of the stats. I would suggest choosing any web IP/address that does respond to pings in order to get a reliable reading in the stats. If your connection is varying too much then you could increase the value for "Reboot the router after X failed pings". Of course, it's up to you in the end :)
KevinR wrote:As a future enhancement it might be handy to have the stats file(s?) rollover at some point, being renamed as stats-1, stats-2, etc. Say on a button press, or a given time or interval or simply at midday (since nights are usually the interesting bit). Then the likes of me could leave it running undisturbed for days but still grab the data at least once a day or after a significant event!
I have now added the ability to name the stats.txt and stats.csv based on a user-defined format to version 1.0.29. The way to use is as follows:

i) If you want to have a different filename for each day and want to have the switch point at midday you could set the "Stats filename format" to "_dd-mm-yyyy" and the "Stats filename offset" to "-11:59:59". What this does is tell the RSL to name the file "stats_dd-mm-yyyy" where dd = day, mm = month and yyyy = year. The offset subtracts 11 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds from the current time so that, say 9am Sunday 27th September, would still be logged in the Saturday 26th September file. Note: I'm not saying -12:00:00 because I want each new stats file to start at exactly midday.

ii) If you want to have a different filename for each week, you could use "_ww-yyyy", where "ww" is the week of the year.

iii) If you want to have a different filename for each month, you could use something like "_mmm-yyyy", which would create filenames like stats_sep-2009.txt, stats_oct-2009.txt etc.

Acceptable characters:

The format string can use most (if not all) of the special characters here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 60%29.aspx . Obviously any characters need to be acceptable for a Windows file name.
The offset must always be in the form: hours:minutes:seconds

If "Stats filename format" is blank, then the default filenames of stats.txt and stats.csv are used.

Download v1.0.29
KevinR
Regular
Regular

Re: Router Stats Logger - edited x2

Post by KevinR » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks Neo. I've grabbed 1.0.29, I'll report back any change in the behavior.

The file renaming sounds excellent, almost excessive control! :D 8)

The reason for disabling the ping test is that my ISP seems to eat pings under certain common conditions and I wanted to log data versus a single sync session. I guess I could cheat and ping the router! I have so far found that it treats a "blank ping address" as a successful ping - so its not a bad workaround.

I definitely had the "nothing added to the stats files" bug again, on two different PCs and versions of windows. Although after restarting the RSL I had it run OK overnight for many hours logging each minute. I had avoided accessing the files, and just had windows explorer open to check the update timestamps. Next time it happens I'll try and verify if the display graph & log window seize up as well.

Thanks for all your efforts.
Kevin.

Edit:
Using 1.0.29 I got the frozen stats file effect after 10 minutes, 10 recorded values. Both countdown clocks were running. The values in the "show log" display matched with the same timestamp. On closing the end of snr_stats.txt file appeared to match the stats.txt entries.

Second Edit:
OK it ran over night fine from 01:16 to 09:57. Then this morning the RSL locked up again. At that point I had only done the following:

1. Browsed (Seamonkey) to the router to check certain details:
Home, IP Stats, Several Menu Pages (no actions, got lost!)).
2. Opened RSL to view its normal tab/pane & re-iconised it.
Did not use any router accessing functions.
3. Opened windows explorer on the RSL directory (on sort by time) & exited it.
4. Did other browsing.

This suggests to me that its either:
a. some timing problem within the RSL itself thats confusing the logging. ie. user interface/updates fighting with the retrieval/logging.
b. interaction even with windows explorer on the file open.
c. access to the router timing out because of other usage.

Further Info:
Using the user interface I used Stop Monitoring & Start Monitoring to try and reestablish logging. It waited, then greyed the router access functions (ie. Get Router Info, Reboot) but appears not to get much further. This implies the internal logic, router or file access is confused, so it cannot restart.