RouterTech Firmware Tool

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

RouterTech Firmware Tool

Post by thechief » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 pm

Description:
This toolkit (creatively called the "Firmware Tool") has been created to help owners of Class II (AR7 chipset) routers to:
(a) generate default environment variables for their router (this is especially useful in the case of a bricked router, where there is no backup of a working environment)
(b) extract the filesystem and kernel from a single firmware image
(c) calculate the MTD values from a single firmware image
(d) generate WLAN_EEPROM values for a 1350A wireless router
(e) perform basic checks on a router for compatibility with RouterTech firmwares (only for cases where the RUC fails to run on your operating system)

Installation:
The program needs no installation and has no dependency issues - just extract the executable from the zip file, and run it. The default environment variables are tailored for specific versions of the RouterTech firmwares (those versions are displayed in the window title of the program). Please read the small text file that comes with it!

Platforms:
This is a Windows program. It supports Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7. It also runs fine with WINE under Linux.

Downloads:
* RouterTech Firmware Tool, v0.97b (for RT firmware v2.97, released 1 May 2012)
* RouterTech Firmware Tool, v0.96 (for RT firmware v2.96, released 8 May 2011)
* RouterTech Firmware Tool, v0.09 (for RT firmware v2.95, released 17 January 2011)
* RouterTech Firmware Tool, v0.08 (for RT firmware v2.95, released 8 January 2011)
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
bovirus
Regular
Regular

Re: RouterTech Firmware Tool

Post by bovirus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:52 am

One question:

I experimented a different values of variable recreated by this utility and Wireless Environment Builder.
Putting the same MAC (as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) and TNETW ID (red by serial console) as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx in the two utilitis I obtained different values of WLAN_EEPROM variables (the right value were created by W.E.B.)

What's the matter?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 am

I have no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you might care to elaborate?
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
bovirus
Regular
Regular

Post by bovirus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 am

I',m working on Linksys WAG200G with RT PSPBOOT firmware.

I loaded PSPBOOT. And the modem boot up fine. The I loaded the PSPBOOT 1350A RT firmware. Fine.

When I tried to enable the Wireless module I checked with serial console some problems. Of course should be depend by missing WLAN_EEPROM values. I need the TNETWID. But I didn't have it.
I found on this forum an article of other user that discovered the TNETWID setting a values for all WLAN_EEPRON variables, and after that at forst reboot checked on serial console the emssage that show the current value of TNETWID (wrong) and the real TNETWID.

I put the MAC address and TNETWID in Firmware tool 004.
I obitained the value of WLAN_EEPROM variables. I put this values in a Tiupgrade script and I setup the router with this value.
But at next reboot the router answered that the value are not right and disabled wireless.
After some tries (I didn't understand because the values were wrong), I used the Wireless Enviroment Builder (W.E.B.), I typed MAC and TNETWID in W.E.B. and I checked that the WLAN_EEPROM values suggested by W.E.B. were different than values showed by Firmware tool (with same MAC and TNETWID).

I created a new script with the WLAN_EEPROM values reported by W.E.B. and at first reboot the wireless was OK.

For a next check I typed the MAC/TNETWID in Firmware tool and I obtained the (wrong) value for WLAN_EEPROM of the first time.

I hope to explain well.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:38 am

I was referring to the details of the MAC addresses and TNETW ID. Maybe you don't want to post them here - why not send them by PM?
bovirus
Regular
Regular

Post by bovirus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:01 am

I will send you asap.
muziling

Post by muziling » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:12 pm

can be used for newest version RT firmware v2.93 ?

new version tool released :D
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 pm

A new version of the tool has been released. See the first post in this thread for the download link.
naith_kk
Novice
Novice

Post by naith_kk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Two questions chief,

Does the Firmware tool automatically determine the Wireless MAC address and TNETW ID numbers? Or are they merely just examples to have users input the actual values should the information be found on their router? Been trying to determine what my TNETW ID is but apparently there's no way for me to tell. The status -> System Log method doesn't seem to display my TNETW ID neither does my modem have any information about it.

Also, was wondering if there was a way to determine what the TNETW ID is from the WLAN_EEPROM values I have when I used RUC for the first time?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm

naith_kk wrote:Does the Firmware tool automatically determine the Wireless MAC address and TNETW ID numbers?
No.
naith_kk wrote:Or are they merely just examples to have users input the actual values should the information be found on their router?
Yes.
naith_kk wrote:Been trying to determine what my TNETW ID is but apparently there's no way for me to tell.
There is no straightforward method.
naith_kk wrote:The status -> System Log method doesn't seem to display my TNETW ID neither does my modem have any information about it.
Your router will only have information about it (in the system log) if the wireless functionality is broken.
naith_kk wrote:Also, was wondering if there was a way to determine what the TNETW ID is from the WLAN_EEPROM values I have when I used RUC for the first time?
Yes there is - but this depends on the WLAN_EEPROM variables being correct to start with. This is often not the case - but some wireless drivers do not seem to mind. The RT 1350A driver does mind, and will not work if the values are not correct. And if the values are correct and the wireless AP is working, then you don't need to know the TNETW ID. You just need to have backups of your environment.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 pm

A new version of the tool has been released (see the first post above) for firmware v2.96. There are a number of enhancements and new features.

This version can also retrieve the TNETW ID from a 1350A wireless router in certain circumstances.
paulwebster

Post by paulwebster » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:54 pm

following a suggestion from The Chief to see if the Firmware Tool helps by-pass a stalled check with RUC ... I ran it.
FT gets stuck at 88%.

Judging by the log file that it writes it looks likie FT relies on cm_cli being in the path for many of its checks.
In my case (old Hercules DSL router) it is not.

So, for example, this command fails
echo logic:status/nspver | cm_cli
with
cm_cli: No such file or directory

The last command shown in the log file is
cat /etc/led.conf
which did work.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 pm

paulwebster wrote:Judging by the log file that it writes it looks likie FT relies on cm_cli being in the path for many of its checks.
For some checks, yes. Really, the command should be accessible in the PATH. If it isn't, then someone is trying to restrict access - probably a sensible thing for most users.
paulwebster wrote:The last command shown in the log file is
cat /etc/led.conf
which did work.
In which case, it had almost finished its work - all it needed to do after that was to exit from the command shell and log more things. This should not cause a problem, so there is a problem (an unexpected one) somewhere else - which is also perhaps what the RUC was experiencing. Send me all the logs by PM and I can check for clues.
Sonalshinde

Post by Sonalshinde » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am

Excellent thread! Thanks for this great share!