ASCII2Hex Convertor

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
naith_kk
Novice
Novice

ASCII2Hex Convertor

Post by naith_kk » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:00 pm

A simple tool I made to help me convert text to its hexadecimal equivalent for the purpose of setting wireless passwords. Searched the forums and didn't find any (or the fact I probably overlooked somewhere) hence, I made one for offline use. :mrgreen:

Converting from string to hexadecimal:

Converting from hexadecimal to string:
Attachments
ASCII2HEX.zip
(250.61 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: ASCII2Hex Convertor

Post by mstombs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks - it runs on 64-bit Linux under wine fine - but doesn't setting hex passwords using only ascii give weak results because not all possible combinations can be set?
naith_kk
Novice
Novice

Re: ASCII2Hex Convertor

Post by naith_kk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:36 pm

About your comment on encryption strength - using ASCII combinations for password security is regarded somewhat a weak method, but that is beyond the scope of why I built the utility... I had to consider the fact that I have some devices that connect to my wireless router have certain difficulties with symbolic passwords... hence I chose the obvious method: ASCII.

Another reason was the fact that RT firmware doesn't seem to have built-in conversion to convert ASCII passwords to its hexadecimal equivalent automatically. For stronger based encryption codes however - the better solution would be to seek out more advanced convertors online.