Installation and usage of a VPN client on the router (newbi)

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
samehz

Installation and usage of a VPN client on the router (newbi)

Post by samehz » Wed May 09, 2012 10:03 am

Good Day,

Is there any way to install a VPN (e.g. pptp) client (e.g. that connects to a public VPN provider) on the router so that all devices connected to the internet through the router make use of the VPN connection?

I'm currently using (and actually enjoying, thanks for the nice work) RouterTech 2.97 on Linksys WAG200g modem/router. It took me sometime actually to realize that the PPTP/OpenVPN support in RouterTech firmware is intended for VPN server deployments on the router only.

Thanks,
Sameh
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Installation and usage of a VPN client on the router (ne

Post by thechief » Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

samehz wrote:Is there any way to install a VPN (e.g. pptp) client (e.g. that connects to a public VPN provider) on the router so that all devices connected to the internet through the router make use of the VPN connection?
If there is, it will not be straightforward. You would (in addition to building a functional and well-configured VPN client for the router) need to find a way of binding the VPN connection to the router's WAN interface (normally "br0" for pppoa connections). And there may be all sorts of other stuff that needs to happen.

Nevertheless, anything is possible with linux - so if you manage to achieve this, we would very much like to know about it!
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
samehz

Post by samehz » Fri May 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Well, there seems to be this project: http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ for PPTP.
I would really like to try and do it, but I don't know where to start. For example, which version is suitable and will I need to recompile it??

For OpenVPN, the project is famously available here for both client and server: http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/overview.html, but I would have the same questions, plus, public OpenVPN service providers are less prevalent than PPTP ones.

BTW, the VPN client feature seems to be common in several other unofficial router firmware projects. One project: http://www.dd-wrt.com/demo/index.asp, forces the user to choose between PPPoE and PPTP, probably because of the reason you mentioned in your post. In the same sense, it may be possible to force the user to disable the modem feature altogether, if he opts to use a PPTP/L2TP feature, and use an external modem instead.
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat May 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Building the pptp client is not the problem. The problem is getting the client configured and working properly. This would require full MPPE support in the kernel and in pppd. I doubt very much whether that support exists.
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
exodus

Post by exodus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 am

hi chief

i have some similar question, i have an aztech 605ew single antenna on wich i ve installed the latest firmware of routertech.

i would like to use the router(i m using it as a router not a dsl modem) for connecting to a vpn server.

is there any way to make this (with openvpn or pptp )

idea is that the router will give to every pc behind the router an access wich will be 'secure' (nsa has make this irrelevant)....

let me know if there is anyway

thanks
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 am

With Linux, anything is possible if you have the know-how and the necessary tools. In this case, I don't see any straightforward way of achieving this, so I think it is a non-starter.
exodus

Post by exodus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:07 pm

thechief wrote:With Linux, anything is possible if you have the know-how and the necessary tools. In this case, I don't see any straightforward way of achieving this, so I think it is a non-starter.

could you give some guidelines on this?
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm

If I knew how to do it, I would have done it already.
exodus

Post by exodus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:54 pm

thechief wrote:If I knew how to do it, I would have done it already.
lol
ok