How to fix a bad install of DD-WRT?

Utilities and tools for networking, routers, setup etc
ponlaluz

How to fix a bad install of DD-WRT?

Post by ponlaluz » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:58 pm

How to fix DD-WRT bad install?
I am trying to install DD-WRT on my Netgear WNDR3700v4 router, and I was following the steps on their wiki but I could not install it successfully and the steps to fix it are very unclear. Here's what I did, following the instructions on this page:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

First I downloaded the two files (factory.img and webflash.bin), and perform the "Initial Reset" step described in the link. Then I went to my router's admin Web interface and went to firmware upgrade and uploaded the factory.img file over ethernet. Once the progress bar reached 100%, the upload still appeared to be in progress, it never said it was done. I waited about 5 minutes and no change, when I tried to revisit my admin page I got a page titled "400 Bad Request" and the message "Cross site action detected!". Now my router won't work. Please help? All the forums and sites I am finding about DD-WRT are very unclear about troubleshooting.
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: How to fix a bad install of DD-WRT?

Post by mstombs » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:18 pm

You might not have waited long enough, seems some new routers have slow flash/big firmwares that can take more than 10 minutes to flash. If flash not complete before a power cycle the router may refuse to load firmware and stick at a bootloader prompt - or it can get into a boot-loop where the fimware tries to load then crashes/reboots repeatedly. The latter is more awkward but Broadcom routers normally support tftp load of firmware to the bootloader.

I'm sure your router is recoverable - too expensive to give up! dd-wrt forums should be best for specifics but make sure you follow their Peacock thread advice first.