Forum Discussion

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Forum Discussion

Post by Kieran » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:46 pm

This is the thread for ALL discussion about the RouterTech website and the forums. Any discussion about the site posted elsewhere will be merged with this thread if possible or locked if not.

Please see this thread for information on where to post what about the forums.
Last edited by Kieran on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
MYKhan
Novice
Novice

Post by MYKhan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:51 pm

Oh yeah thats a nice idea.

Now i have a question:

Is it possible for the non previliged users (not admin or support personels or moderators etc) to make addition to the networking related topics or make new FAQ etc. Or is it just for the admin guys to do.

regards
Life is a quest and love a quarrel ...
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Re: Forum Discussion

Post by Steve » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:55 pm

Kieran wrote:This is the thread for ALL discussion about the RouterTech website and the forums. Any discussion about the site posted elsewhere will be merged with this thread if possible or locked if not.
When you say "this thread" are you saying EVERYTHING related to Forum things should be in this one thread, or should be created in appropriate threads within the "FORUM THINGS" forum.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:59 pm

I mean in this actual thread, leaving the actual forum for new threads related to issues with the forum. More info I have posted here:
viewtopic.php?t=121

It was getting too difficult to distinguish forum problems the web team had to investigate from general discussion that didn't so its been done this way now.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:32 pm

MYKhan wrote:Is it possible for the non previliged users (not admin or support personels or moderators etc) to make addition to the networking related topics or make new FAQ etc. Or is it just for the admin guys to do.
Any registered user is welcome to submit articles to our knowledge base (FAQ). Admin/Moderators will review your entry and as long as it is considered useful and abides by the rules on knowledge base submissions, it will be accepted onto the site.

To make such a submission, select the category that you wish to add a submission to. Select "Submit Article" that appears in the nav bar after your category selection has been made, write your article and fill in the particulars and hit submit. We will review it and advise you by PM if/when it goes live :)

Normal sticky posts etc. get created when one of the support team deems a particular post or thread to be of great help to the majority.

Hope this helps :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
ezypcy

Newbies fail to get it!

Post by ezypcy » Wed May 03, 2006 10:20 pm

Dipping back into the forum I observe that the majority of new members
have never posted.
Have they joined up due to the 'old boys' networking skills and
not out of real interest?
Or is it that most people solve their networking problem and move on?

I have to say that the feel of the forum is already cliquey.Far too many
references to the 'previous life' !!
And bad jokes etc. never achieve added interest for many,sorry.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed May 03, 2006 10:48 pm

You'll find lots of forums have members who rarely post - many feel inclined to lurk and that's perfectly normal. Lurking is generally encouraged on forums as people can find out what the forum is like and also, in our case, do any reading up/research in our knowledge base.

Non-regulars will tend to post if they have a problem that needs sorting out or generally if they want to discuss something.

Past experience has shown that the majority of visitors/newbies post up their problem, find a solution and then go (perhaps re-visiting if they encounter further problems). Occasionally, visitors stay and contribute more regularly which always nice to see. Some of the regular contributers then begin to help newbies and so the cycle continues...

I'm sure things will pick up as more people become aware of RouterTech and what it has to offer, it's still early days yet ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Wed May 03, 2006 10:58 pm

A fair point of view. It is still early days for the forum, I'm sure you're right, a lot of contacts are joining up and checking in waiting to assist.

That's bound to create groups of members who know each other already and have ongoing topics of conversation held in private.

The FAQ and resources here are quite extensive, and new users to the forum may well find the answers they require without posting.

When questions come, we are ready to help.

Slowly, I'm confident this forum will grow to be very successful.

As for the jokes...yeah, they are pretty lame, but we are currently being very careful not to create a site which may offend. All variety of members are welcome, we must therefore not create a forum which is unsuitable for individuals or for members viewing from a company network.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Wed May 03, 2006 11:04 pm

Hi - I know what you mean about the "newbies" not posting much and very few problems to date :(

I think that there's probably a variety of reasons for this - some of which may be :-

1) Genuine Newbies who've found us but don't have a problem as such.

2) People who have "migrated" here from AT and are just registering to keep in touch with how Routertech develops.

3) Some folk just like to pop in and look around but don't post for personal reasons "nice lirkers" if you know what I mean

Can't say I agree with the "cliqueness" part of your statement - sure some members know the Routertech Admin and Support Team members from previous forums or whatever - some are already friends and more are allways welcome - no problem with that IMO.

I personally don't see any of the discussions on the forum being restricted too any group of users in particular - all are welcome to contribute - just wish more would :?

Regarding "Bad Jokes" - if you don't like that stuff - don't subscribe to the topic - plain and simple. Despite Routertech being first and foremost a Technical resourec to help anyone with PC or Networking problems it's also about building a Community and a Community - IMO - needs to take a break friom the Bit's-n-Byte's side of things to achieve a proper balance.

Don't see the problem with Non-Tech Discussion threads which follow forum rules - I personally hope to see more non-tech threads on Music/TV/Books/Whatever YOU the members want - so please help us develop our Community in it's wider sense.

I really appreciate your taking the time to comment on this and hope that it is a stimulus to other users to get stuck in and contribute - whether that's in Tech Topics or Non-Tech Topics.

Perhaps some of our members may care to comment in this thread on how they see the forum and why ?

Regards,
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Wed May 03, 2006 11:21 pm

...and one small point...here you can raise questions which may be viewed as critical of the forum. You will get answered, your comments listened to your opinion noted, even if we disagree with you.

Your post will not simply be deleted, your username deleted, your IP address banned.

Instances of the above elsewhere are why we set up Routertech.org

If you post something which is considered inappropriate, you will be warned and dealt with according to the set of published forum rules.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 04, 2006 12:48 am

I forgot to mention that in some sections of the forum, posts aren't actually added to your total post count which means some people may appear to have fewer posts to their name than the reality ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
ezypcy

Post by ezypcy » Thu May 04, 2006 9:37 am

It is very refreshing to see that my comments were viewed in the same
spirit as I intended.Constructive and hopefully helpful.
Yes,I have experienced other forums who do punish you for expessing
'negative' comments.

<Shotokan101

Regarding "Bad Jokes" - if you don't like that stuff - don't subscribe to the
topic - plain and simple
>

Reminds me of -"If you have nothing constructive to say then don't say it"
which is the mantra and tone of the above said forums!

Is the Forum Discussion section going to continue in the future as one
long thread?Is it not possible to display a new topic under this Header.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:50 am

Hi ezypcy,

I don't think that there's anything "authoritarian" in my remark that you quoted and that's certainly not what was intended :wink: - the only thing that I did think of afterwards was that I should also have said - "and if you don't like the jokes then feel free to post some better ones" :lol:

I was simply trying to get the point across that not everyone is on the forum for the same reasons all the time - some folk enjoy even the "bad" jokes - we all enjoy a good "Groan" at some time :wink:

Regarding the "long thread" aspect - don't you get a "New Topic" butto available to you when you view this thread? :?:

Cheers,

Jim
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Thu May 04, 2006 10:06 am

Better jokes most welcome...please note no sexist, age-ist, fat-ist, thin-ist, steve-ist jokes will be tollerated....which leave knock-knock jokes and limericks about Nantucket. :lol:
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
ezypcy

Post by ezypcy » Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 am

Sorry,Shotokan101 I do seem to have mis-represented you :shock: :lol: .Thanks.

As regards the long thread,I initially posted under a new topic in Forum
Things -"Newbies fail to get it" and found it added to the long thread in
Forum Discussion.
I can understand the reasons as to why,but it maybe helpful if one
could then 'New Topic' in the discussion area.