Search term lengths?

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:18 am

Swinging back to my earlier question regarding searching Topics only - I've just run a search for "*AT*" (tried all three options) and it's not returning any posts/topics......

sorry if you think this should be posted as a forum problem :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 01, 2006 11:26 am

That query is too short. Try ADSLTech and you will find the results displaying correctly according to options.

Short queries like that are blocked because of the strain on the server, can you imagine (based on the fact that the queries are not case sensitive) how many returns there would be searching for "at" with anything before/after using posts and titles as criteria accross all forums? Save my poor server please!
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:32 am

O.K. - understand now - might be a good idea to mod the keywords help text accordingly :? (what's the minimum keyword length anyway ?)
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Mon May 01, 2006 12:49 pm

<Moved posts to new topic>

I think the minimum is set to a default of 5 characters? See http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... erm+length

It can be adjusted, although the alternative (sometimes used) is to have a blacklist of words/combinations that it wouldn't allow, e.g. "you" "it" "is" etc. Having a rather long blacklist to check each time does kinda defeat the purpose though (of lowering server load).
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 01, 2006 1:12 pm

There is a 3 character minimum, excluding spaces. This has been hard coded into phpBB since RC4.

As Neo points out, the stoplist (currently empty here) can be used to prevent certain words being used in searches and bogging down the server by returning queries. This has not yet been implemented here, but in the future it may be if it is deemed necesary.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 01, 2006 1:16 pm

Anyhow, I'm closing this as it isn't a forum issue.
Kieran
"Indeed!"