Suggestions box

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:16 pm

I could divide up the results into pages (as the watched topics page does) to reduce the overall length of the results page.

How about 6 months? A year? There's lots of of other ranges possible, but they aren't really necessary.

Could have a search option for topics with zero replies...to make sure questions don't go unanswered for long periods of time.
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 pm

I hear - I understand - I wish I'd never mentioned it :lol:

Quite liked the OT "Zero Replies" comment from NEO - but quickly realised we would also need to cater for topics WITH replies that are still "active" but not receiving replies...... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:35 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Quite liked the OT "Zero Replies" comment from NEO
It's not OT, this is the suggestions box! :P

I've seen other forums do the 'zero replies' function - it's nothing to do with active topics and would be here: search.php

I'm sure it's not very difficult to add.
Shotokan101 wrote:...quickly realised we would also need to cater for topics WITH replies that are still "active" but not receiving replies...... :?
Not necessarily as the OP will often bump if need be to put the page back into the 'active topics'. Also, we could request the use of 'Resolved' in the title (apart from locking) when an issue is resolved. That should enable us to quickly identify issues that are still unresolved.

Still something is better than nothing so a 'zero replies' search still has value ;)
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu May 11, 2006 1:09 pm

By "Liked" I meant I thought it was a good Idea :wink: and I agree that it's still usefull on it's own :D

By OT I was only referring to the subject you were replying to in the post

I also agree that the "Resolved" in the title as well as locking threads would be usefull - somewhat depends on whether we are going to require usesr with the same problem to open a new thread once the OP's problem has been resolved..... :? not sure if it will be workable or not....
Jim

neilius
Regular
Regular

Post by neilius » Fri May 12, 2006 8:06 pm

I have a suggestion, stolen from something that another forum I use does:

Extended profiles, with fields for routers we own, firmware versions, ISP information and anything else that's deemed relevant. It might help people to get their problems solved more quickly since more information will be available to those solving it. To see what I mean, check out various posts on http://forum.xda-developers.com/ - some of that extra profile info is displayed with each message, but viewing someone's profile reveals a ton of extra stuff as well about the hardware they're using etc.

Regards,

Neil.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat May 13, 2006 3:16 pm

Would it be possible to include the PM folder as an option in the forum search - obviously each individual user to search their own PM's :wink:
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat May 13, 2006 3:32 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:Would it be possible to include the PM folder as an option in the forum search - obviously each individual user to search their own PM's :wink:
No, but I could write a separate search for PMs that would be accessable from the PM area? (and when I say I could write it, I mean next month due to current commitments)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat May 13, 2006 3:33 pm

neilius wrote:Extended profiles, with fields for routers we own, firmware versions, ISP information and anything else that's deemed relevant. It might help people to get their problems solved more quickly since more information will be available to those solving it.
Good idea; adding profile fields is quite easy - I will try and implement this sometime soon :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat May 13, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks Kieran :)
Jim

Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat May 20, 2006 3:31 pm

How about if we borrow an idea from Gmail ? - what about adding and "Invite a Friend to Routertech" option to te forum pages which would allow the forum user to supply an email address and then would emal that address with a preformatted message plus a personall message from the RT user inviting them to come and visit/join RT ? :?:
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat May 20, 2006 5:46 pm

That would open up the flood gates for people to spam from my server I'm afraid so I don't think thats really an option :(
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:07 pm

Kieran wrote:That would open up the flood gates for people to spam from my server I'm afraid so I don't think thats really an option :(
I did think about that side of things - but can't we minimise/mitigate this possibility by :-

1) Ensure that its Registered users only - hence we have their validated email addy's

2) Include the Sender's email addy in the invite

3) Restrict the number of Invites per Member

Just thought that it seemed to work quite well (IMO) for Gmail.....
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat May 20, 2006 7:03 pm

Ok, yeah, I can sanction that; I'll put it on my list of things to do when the time comes ;)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sat May 20, 2006 8:14 pm

Cheers :wink:
Jim

Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Suggestion

Post by Techsolver » Sun May 28, 2006 10:13 am

I am a bit of a lurker on a few forums, I like using features such as active topics but yours has a very annoying feature for someone who isn't here all the time.

The active topics doesn't have page numbers and always takes you to the last post, if a topic is very active you then have to scroll back a number of pages, then up the screen to find a meaningful post (eg to get the jist of the topic).