Firmware D/L don't work with Firefox 2

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:49 am

Hi - thanks for the screenie - I notice from it that the RT files are .zip but the AVG link leads to .exe (for example) can you download .zip from any other sites ?

Have a look in the firefox fdownload file type options settings and see if there's any entries for .zip - I don't have access to FF2 here so can't quite remember how to get to them but from memory it's something like :-

Tools>Options>Downloads>File Types ......
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:50 am

Just double checked mine. Definately grayed out until I click on Save, then it becomes a "live" option. Clicking again and the file downloads.
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
markybrooknow
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markybrooknow » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:08 am

Just double checked mine. Definately grayed out until I click on Save, then it becomes a "live" option. Clicking again and the file downloads.
YES!! It works!

Sorry Steve - you do have to click on the actual greyed out "SAVE File" button before it becomes active. Thanks to all for help and suggestions. This looks like a "feature" in FF2 that we could do without. :?

Jim, you are right this only seems to happen with zip files. Hmmm strange...
Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:13 am

Yeah, it's a bit wierd. Sorry I didn't think of it sooner.
I guess it's either a bug or a feature for some sort of security to stop "happy clicky fingers" just hitting Save because thats what they always hit...then maybe regretting it.

e.g. suppose you downloaded a certain manufacturers V5 firmware without thinking...disasterous :wink:
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:28 pm

Glad this is resolved. I suggest submitting this as an error to the Firefox folk - there is no logical reason to have to click a button twice.

I'm closing this here though as its not an issue with the RouterTech site.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!