Problem with direct anchor links to posts

All errors or issues on the website/forums should be reported here and will be investigated. Support questions about how to use/access features not documented in the forum FAQ and discussion about the site forums are also welcome here, but please read this thread before posting such items.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:39 pm

"Shout" - kidding - kidding :lol:

5. How about having the link which is posted out in the notification emails actually point to the posts and not the forums/threads ?

EDIT: LIke the one that brought me here did ? :oops: ..... put this one on hold till I've had a few more notifications - not sure it does this all the time...... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Shotokan101 wrote: 5. How about having the link which is posted out in the notification emails actually point to the posts and not the forums/threads ?
They do this already; they are anchor links to the post....
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:28 pm

Kieran wrote:
Shotokan101 wrote: 5. How about having the link which is posted out in the notification emails actually point to the posts and not the forums/threads ?
They do this already; they are anchor links to the post....
.....that's what I meant by the EDIT to my original post......

What I'm saying is that I didn't think that they allways did - sometimes - fairly recently I've not been taken to a post - but can't honestly remember which notifications - I'll have a dig around Gmail and see if I can find any "broken" ones that haven't been purged yet - I'f you don't hear back from me it probably means that I've found lots and they all work properly and I've gone off in a Huff to get P!ssed again ! :twisted:
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:37 pm

If any of your links don't have #<post_number> at the end of them, post back with an issue. If they all do, then I'm afraid it will just be your browser not parsing anchors correctly :(
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:39 pm

Kieran wrote:If any of your links don't have #<post_number> at the end of them, post back with an issue. If they all do, then I'm afraid it will just be your browser not parsing anchors correctly :(
Or more sually my head now working correctly :roll:
Jim

Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:35 pm

sually not! :lol:
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:58 pm

JAFO wrote:sually not! :lol:
HIC !

(Told you I might get P!ssed) :lol:

....now enough with the OT Stuff !!! :evil:
Jim

Steve
Ex RouterTech Team
Ex RouterTech Team

Post by Steve » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:02 pm

:D
Out of interest, which browser do you think this happened with?
He ached all over. It wasn't just that his brain was writing cheques that his body couldn't cash. It had gone beyond that. Now his feet were borrowing money that his legs hadn't got, and his back muscles were looking for loose change under the sofa cushions.
- Terry Pratchett

www.bliss.org.uk
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:04 pm

IE6 :(
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:47 pm

I have split this off from the suggestions thread as it was more of a potential issue rather than a suggestion.

If the error occurs again, please post up its details. For the time being I am not looking into this one as it looks to be just a browser issue.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Thanks Kieran :)
Jim

Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:27 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:"Shout" - kidding - kidding :lol:

5. How about having the link which is posted out in the notification emails actually point to the posts and not the forums/threads ?

EDIT: LIke the one that brought me here did ? :oops: ..... put this one on hold till I've had a few more notifications - not sure it does this all the time...... :?
O.K. - think I've sussed my misunderstanding - I think the posts I was seeing were new threads/topic notifications and it doesn't display te post but the list of threads.....

Is it possible for the notification to include the post link - ths would allow you to view the thread immediately and reply/subscribe etc.... ?

If suitable for consideration can this become Suggestion 5. ?
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Shotokan101 wrote:
Shotokan101 wrote:"Shout" - kidding - kidding :lol:

O.K. - think I've sussed my misunderstanding - I think the posts I was seeing were new threads/topic notifications and it doesn't display te post but the list of threads.....

Is it possible for the notification to include the post link - ths would allow you to view the thread immediately and reply/subscribe etc.... ?

If suitable for consideration can this become Suggestion 5. ?
Notifications show the following links:-

For NEW THREADS, a thread link
For NEW POSTS a thread link with anchor to the post.

No more, no less. Im afraid I don't fully understand what else could be added to that. By definition if you are being notified you are already subscribed, and every link does take you to either the new thread or the new post.

Obviously if said new thread has had replies, your e-mailed link from when the first thread was created cannot change retrospectively....
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:53 pm

O.K. - I'm probably either not explaining myself properly or/and don't understand how it all works :oops:

See this link from a forum topic notification :-

viewforum.php?f=10

This display a list of topics - which if it's a new topic then by definition it must have had a post in that topic..... what I was suggesting as being more natural (to me at least/only perhaps :wink: ) is that I think the notification post should contain the link to the first post in the new topic.... :?:

Also I wasn't sure if subscibing to a forum automatically subscribed you to new threads - I had thought that after the new topic/post notification you needed to visit the thread and then ubscribe to keep informed.....

Apoligies for distracting you if I'm just being thick......

Jim
Jim

Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:43 pm

Ah ok, now I get you. Ok, I will change that as soon as I get the chance :)
Kieran
"Indeed!"