New Toy Nokia E65 + Sipgate

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

New Toy Nokia E65 + Sipgate

Post by studioeng » Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 am

I've got a new toy :D a Nokia E65; it has built in Wifi and also a SIP client (can also use Skype over 3G). I have tried setting up the SIP client to use sipgate; I've followed this guide/thread but all I get is an 'address busy' error.

Anyone have any dealings with the E65 and SIP (mainly Sipgate)?? I have found a few posts on various forums suggesting the firmware is the issue; but it seems the phone is 'too new' for anyone to know much about it :?
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 am

I use Sipgate for my personal and business lines. It also powers the RouterTech phone system.

I had limited success getting Sipgate working properly with any device when connected through my router (with NAT) unless I enabled STUN. The guide you followed doesn't appear to mention STUN so I would venture to say that if your device has this feature then you could try enabling that with the Sipgate STUN settings and see what happens.

You also need to make sure your SIP device has a static IP and has the SIP port you assigned it forwarded from your router to it if you wish to recieve IP calls. You can also bung the phone's IP address in DMZ if you want a lazy way of testing it.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon May 14, 2007 10:53 am

That's weird, My TA612V at home used to work fine with incoming and outgoing calls; STUN was not turned on no ports were forwarded, and I was also using NAT.

Since I have moved to static IPs I have had to give the TA612V a public address as it decided not to work when they changed; possibly due to having to use two routers and not being able to traverse two networks xD

On the E65, there are no options for setting STUN, and I can't find anywhere where you can set it to have a static IP.

I shall just have keeping fiddling with it and stick to Skype in the meantime until there's more info or I crack it :)
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Mon May 14, 2007 11:33 am

No help but does the TA612V have UPnP capability ? if so could be why STUN etc not required.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon May 14, 2007 11:54 am

biro wrote:No help but does the TA612V have UPnP capability ? if so could be why STUN etc not required.
Image Yes I think it does have UPnP capability and your probably right; although it is of no use to me now, as I am using two routers :(

Actually... Since I have now turned NAT off, my server has a static public IP address and is acting as the 'router', being a linux box I asume this would not have UPnP capability ... So if I enable STUN on the TA612V it should work again and I won't need to give it a public static IP!?!? ( drats you taking me off topic xD )
Last edited by studioeng on Mon May 14, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Mon May 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Best thing to do is to have a play with it. Getting SIP phones to work on different setups is usually trial and error, even if there is supposed to be a default way of doing it.
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!