Skype Ethernet Analogue Telephony Adapters

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Skype Ethernet Analogue Telephony Adapters

Post by Neo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:41 pm

I was also looking to source some Skype compatible ATAs (Analogue Telephony Adapters) that don't require a PC and connect to a router, but I don't think they exist. There are plenty of VoIP-Ethernet adaptors, but none of them seem to employ the proprietary Skype protocol.

The most logical place for such devices would be the Skype shop, but they seem to want to force everyone to get a new phone instead.

The technology already exists for an embedded Skype client with Ethernet connectivity (the Solwise, Netgear and Philips phones etc are proof of this) so I don't see why manufacturers don't sell the boxes standalone which would then accept any phone via an RJ11 or BT socket I've seen numerous requests similar to my own during my web searching, so I know I'm not the only one to want this :)

I was thinking of building my own with a Skype USB gateway (like THIS) together with a cheap thin client PC (like a decTOP or linutop) but that still seems rather pricey and it would probably be too tempting to use the thin client as a PC (which would rather defeat the purpose!). Pricewise, most mini PCs I have seen are approaching the ASUS EEE PC :(

This is probably wishful thinking but would it be possible to get a form of Skype running on a Class II router?
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:06 pm

Are Sources available Neo ?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:35 pm

For what? :? :o
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:41 pm

Neo wrote:For what? :? :o
For the "Skype-Decombobulator-Thingy-Bit-Thats-Done-In-Hardware"....

...as in the "Skype Function" that you need to be hosted on the router....
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:54 pm

I looked but I could not find any... it was a long shot idea that came to me after searching fruitlessly for a single device that would do the job. I'm not sure what to look for - not being a Linux aficionado. I know there is Skype software that will run under Linux, but I don't know if it will run on the router...

So far, I have found several 'PCs' that might fit the bill, including:

Gumstix
E2 Mini Computer from Aleutia (rather expensive considering)
Norhtec MicroClient Jr. (similar to the E2 Mini)
Even a Yoggie Pico (if it's possible to hack it)

Problem is finding one that cheap and available in the UK. The Aleutia E2 Mini starts at £199 (some of which is probably down to import duty etc). I could get the parts to build a Mini-ITX PC, but that still comes to about £200. What I would like is a small sub £100 PC - second hand laptops have crossed my mind...
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:40 am

Shouldn't you be using opensource SIP and Asterisk in the Linux GPL world (supported by Google Talk?) I know the skype SMC wifi phone runs Linux, but no sign of any skype sources in the GPL sourcecode, and there's this great hack to turn it into a SIP phone

http://spritesmods.com/?art=wskpsip&f=had

Small matter of no analogue phone connector on a class II router, but SIP Ethernet adaptors pretty common - I noticed Linksys RT31P2-UK in morgancomputers the other day.

PS I have used Skype a lot in the past but they've just sent me an email claiming that as I haven't used skypeout for x days they've cancelled my credit. Funny how they claim to have sent 3 reminders which I have not received - and this has happened before - so no love lost there!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:25 am

There are many alternatives to Skype, but personally I think it offers better cost management and ease of use (having several contacts using Skype is another factor).

The Netvoyager LX-1000 thin client is closer to a sensible price and is another variant of the MicroClient Jr:
http://www.netvoyager.co.uk/products/lx1000.html
jack2008

Post by jack2008 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:14 pm

awaiting is not a matter for this process.. but i will take more time always..
==================
jack

Potential spam link removed by Neo
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:10 pm

jack2008, please can you clarify what you mean by your post? Your post looks a lot like spam so I have removed the link until we can get some proof that you are genuine.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Just an update on my quandary: I decided to get a standard ATA to make use of my free minutes from PlueNet - see THIS ;)