VoIP with Connexant chipset routers

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
linker3000

Post by linker3000 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Hi ADSLTech renegades!

Here's one I posted *cough* 'elsewhere' before I realised you'd all moved camp! If anyone can shed any light on this I would be grateful - expecially any recommendations for the best firmware for these routers. Thanks

--->

I have some of the 4-port and 1-port SAMR-411x Routers and have tried both models with a software SIP phone (SJPHONE) and the Safecom SDSIP-5000 connecting back to an Asterisk PBX server at HQ. These routers always lock up when a phone call is initiated and I have posted previously on this site that I found this forum post on Voxilla that mention that some routers with the Connexant chipset are prone to this:

[From Voxilla...]

I had similar problems with safecom adsl modem+router. My sipura 1001 hung up the modem each time it was hooked up into the network. After reading some posts on the web I discovered I wasn't the first one having these problems. In fact many people with modems/routers using CONEXANT chipset reported them. I tried to fix problems by uploading various firmwares that were available on the web, as they all seem to work on similar hardware from various vendors based on the same chipset.

Anyway this solved it to some extent, now the connection failed only after I tried to make a phone call.... The issue was, as I learned that sipura in order to make phone calls opens too many connections and the router having not enough memory (just 2MB) hangs up and fails.

I didn't get any replies to the original post but would be interested to hear from anyone who can share their VoIP/SIP experiences with these routers and also let me know if they have found any specific firmware to be best for VoIP apps.

Also, maybe I am being a bit thick but wasn't there a table of alernative firmwares somewhere - can someone post me the link.

Current software is CX82xxx_4.1.0.21

Thanks

PS: Frist Psot!
thechief
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by thechief » Sat May 13, 2006 10:47 pm

Hi linker300. Welcome to RouterTech :).

I can't answer your questions about VOIP, but you can find the firmware tables here:
pages.php?page=19
The Chief: :afro: Be sure to read the Firmware FAQ and do a Forum Search before posting!
No support via PM. Ask all questions on the open forum.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sat May 13, 2006 11:19 pm

Great to see you over here ;)

WRT to firmwares there is this also: pages.php?page=18

It sounds like the problem is similar to the NAT tables filling up when P2P software is used - is there any way to reduce the number of connections? :?
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!
biro
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by biro » Sat May 13, 2006 11:36 pm

Can the VOIP phones use UPnP, Not in a position to try it but may improve things ! in which case the JMK would be the only option ( or Billion if you can locate it !) But requires USB Flash.
ImageImageImage
All my posts on RouterTech.org are Copyright RouterTech.org
G'Day Laura
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sun May 14, 2006 12:13 am

Have you tried placing the phone in DMZ?
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
linker3000

Post by linker3000 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:14 am

biro wrote:Can the VOIP phones use UPnP, Not in a position to try it but may improve things ! in which case the JMK would be the only option ( or Billion if you can locate it !) But requires USB Flash.
Nope, the phones cannot use uPnP. I might try pulling one of the routers off site (I have a few Linksys and Netgear spares - the benefits of running an IT dept!) and having a 'flash party'!

Can you just confirm whether these Safecom units are 2Mb or 4Mb ones or can I tell from the Web interface somewhere?
linker3000

Post by linker3000 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:16 am

Kieran wrote:Have you tried placing the phone in DMZ?
Not yet - the original visits to site were both for other things that took priority so all I managed to do was some quick tests. DMZ may be an option but would not be a good ultimate fix as some sites may need >1 phone.
linker3000

Post by linker3000 » Sun May 14, 2006 12:21 am

Neo wrote:Great to see you over here ;)

WRT to firmwares there is this also: pages.php?page=18

It sounds like the problem is similar to the NAT tables filling up when P2P software is used - is there any way to reduce the number of connections? :?
I will have to see what's going on - I have a SIP phone on a site with a Draytek router (working fine!) and can use the monitoring software to see what connections are being made, but AFAIK there's only 3 - a connection to the Asterisk server on port 5060 to login the phone and then two additional connections for the voice streams (RTP protocol on 10100+10101 or another pair).

If pushed, what firmware would you suggest is likely to be the best to try?

Thanks to all who have replied - much better than the Other Place!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Sun May 14, 2006 12:45 pm

linker3000 wrote:Can you just confirm whether these Safecom units are 2Mb or 4Mb ones or can I tell from the Web interface somewhere?
If they are Conexant based then my backup utility should be able to give you a rough estimate of the memory capacity ;)
linker3000 wrote:I will have to see what's going on - I have a SIP phone on a site with a Draytek router (working fine!) and can use the monitoring software to see what connections are being made, but AFAIK there's only 3 - a connection to the Asterisk server on port 5060 to login the phone and then two additional connections for the voice streams (RTP protocol on 10100+10101 or another pair).
Ah well 3 ports shouldn't be a problem , assuming the portforwarding is correct (see pages.php?page=24 as some of it maybe counter-intuitive). I was thinking more of the number of concurrent-connections that the 'phone' creates through those ports. I don't have a VOIP phone (as others here do) so I can't really talk from experience - maybe there is some sort of 'throttle'?
linker3000 wrote:If pushed, what firmware would you suggest is likely to be the best to try?
It's difficult to say as 1) the firmwares haven't really been compared for how they perform with VOIP and 2) most firmwares are probably going to be the same (esp. if the limitation is more hardware/memory). Memory wise it's probably better to avoid firmwares with wireless support as these might be slightly larger. The 4.1.0.9.F-3.2.1_021804 is old favourite that was very stable and the JMK is quite good on the whole. If you do try the JMK, you might want to mosey on over here: kb.php?mode=article&k=7 :)
linker3000 wrote:Thanks to all who have replied - much better than the Other Place!
You're welcome, that's a very kind thing for you to say :cheers:
Hohmach

Post by Hohmach » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:54 pm

For Class I routers the Auslinx 4.1.0.43_VQ firmware solve a router lock up problem with VoIP apps.
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Neo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info, Hohmach :)

Can anyone using VoIP and a Class I router (e.g. linker3000) confirm that the Auslinx firmware fixes the lock up problem?
kiowa
Novice
Novice

Post by kiowa » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:56 am

Running firmware version 2.2, I've NO problems with Sipura 1001, and I had to configure NOTHING within the router, nor I've got UPnP enabled.
It simply works as expected.

Some times it won't register with VoIP provider, than I change the port (always only within the SPA) and it works fine. But this (immo) is an issue with my ISP, not VoIP provider nor adapter or router.
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Shotokan101 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:12 pm

kiowa wrote:Running firmware version 2.2, I've NO problems with Sipura 1001, and I had to configure NOTHING within the router, nor I've got UPnP enabled.
It simply works as expected.

Some times it won't register with VoIP provider, than I change the port (always only within the SPA) and it works fine. But this (immo) is an issue with my ISP, not VoIP provider nor adapter or router.
Is that the RT V2.2 F/W ? - if so it's NOT for Class 1 (Connexant Chipset) routers...... :?
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....