SIP port limit exceeded

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

SIP port limit exceeded

Post by Kieran » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:18 pm

I was talking with a customer on my SIP line earlier when I experienced a large amount of distortion and breakup of the signal. I didn't lose the connection and could converse once again in a short space of time, but seeing as my connection wasn't being used for much else it was odd.

On inspection of the routers log (my old faithful ASR-8400) I found the following line many times:-

07/29/2006 16:03:31> sip: port limit exceeded

Desipte all experience in the field of reading router logs, I cannot for the life of me think what port limit it can possibly be referring to. To be honest I am amazed that a router of this age is even "aware" that a SIP connection is present, lol

All possible pointers welcome, some which may indicate it isn't time to say goodbye to my ASR may also put a smile on my face ;)
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Kieran
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by Kieran » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Hmm, well it would appear that the limit for concurrent connections for the SIP protocol has been reached and so the router is struggling to open up new connections and so dropping part of the call. This value appears to be a hard coded (in more ways than one most likely) variable on the router so it looks like I will have to invest in a replacement that can handle more connections otherwise my customers are going to keep getting cut off :roll:
Kieran
"Indeed!"
Invaluable links: Forum Rules | Networking Guides | FAQ | Site Search | Forum Search <-- Use it or feel my wrath!
No support via PM, please ask your questions in the forum!
Neo
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: SIP port limit exceeded

Post by Neo » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Kieran wrote:I cannot for the life of me think what port limit it can possibly be referring to. To be honest I am amazed that a router of this age is even "aware" that a SIP connection is present, lol
Do these jog your memory? :)

Link 1
Link 2
RouterTech Team and Founding Member
RouterTech Merchandise (UK)
No support via PM, please ask your questions on the forum!