X-Lite/Netgear TA612V and Sipgate

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:48 pm

How many routers do you have connected????
If its more that 1 then you increase the
SIP Local Port to 5160
and
Starting RTP Port and 5104.
This should work.
It dose not make any diffrence if you are using one or two phones on the TA612V, they both still work down the one port.
Sipgate do, a test number that you can call to check everthing is working.
Cant remember the number, if i find it i will post it.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:15 pm

computercooldude.co.uk wrote:How many routers do you have connected????
If its more that 1 then you increase the
SIP Local Port to 5160
and
Starting RTP Port and 5104.
This should work.
It dose not make any diffrence if you are using one or two phones on the TA612V, they both still work down the one port.
Sipgate do, a test number that you can call to check everthing is working.
Cant remember the number, if i find it i will post it.
I've only got the one connected. Both lines work fine when I call out, I have even got my QoS working really well so I don't get any dropouts during calls... But, after awhile I cannot recieve incoming calls. If I ring out, even the test number; which is 10000 (same as stun port), then I can recieve incoming calls; until after awhile it drops out again.

I am using the sipgate proxy and the stun server; I have forwarded 5004 and 5060 (UDP); but this doesnt seem to of cured the problem. I shall try another router when I get chance... Hopefully will rule out a dodgy SWAMR.
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:47 pm

Is the router installed with the custom sipgate firmware, or is open firmware that has been manual confiured.
If it is preconfiured the try resteing it back to factory settings.
You could actually do that if it was not, this would help removed any miss confiured settings, then start a fresh confiured.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:17 pm

Ok, I'm still on the incoming call bug...

I have stopped all downloads of torrents, and I have placed the TA612V into the DMZ of the SWAMR. I have removed ALL port forwards on the SWAMR and rebooted it.

Still no joy.

So, it's either an issue with the SWAMR, or the TA612V renewing its registration/connection with sipgate. I have installed XLite (both sipgate and original versions) and only set up the STUN server with no port forwards, and this works perfectly. Which leads me to the TA612V being the problem.

There is definately a keep-alive issue with the TA612V.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:35 pm

Ok, I have solved my incoming call problem; I tried another TA612V. :D

I pulled one fresh, installed the open firmware, and it works perfectly. So that narrows that problem down. I think I will try re-flashing it and try again.
banoma

Re: netgear ta612v on voipdiscount

Post by banoma » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:36 am

gnfonline wrote:I managed to grap a netgear ta612v from Staples, and set it up successfully with Sipgate behind my BT 2091 wireless router following the tips here. Many thanks to techsolver and studioeng and others!

Now I am trying to set it up with voipdiscount. All the status on the netgear shows that it is working, and when I lift the handset, there is a dial tone, but when I dial my mobile there is no success.

Does anyone know if I have to buy some credit first to make phone calls?

btw, does voipdiscount give away free telephone numbers?

Thanks
Hi gnfonline!
I am trying to setup the TA612V behind the Voyager 2091 modem/router.
Please could you explain the changes you made in the both routers configuration to make it work with sipgate.
I tried the tips from the thread but am not able to make it work.
Thanks!
banoma

Re: netgear ta612v on voipdiscount

Post by banoma » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:17 am

banoma wrote:
gnfonline wrote:I managed to grap a netgear ta612v from Staples, and set it up successfully with Sipgate behind my BT 2091 wireless router following the tips here. Many thanks to techsolver and studioeng and others!

Now I am trying to set it up with voipdiscount. All the status on the netgear shows that it is working, and when I lift the handset, there is a dial tone, but when I dial my mobile there is no success.

Does anyone know if I have to buy some credit first to make phone calls?

btw, does voipdiscount give away free telephone numbers?

Thanks
Hi gnfonline!
I am trying to setup the TA612V behind the Voyager 2091 modem/router.
Please could you explain the changes you made in the both routers configuration to make it work with sipgate.
I tried the tips from the thread but am not able to make it work.
Thanks!
Please can anyone explain the needed configuration in easy steps.
I have never setup a router or network so the following all the thread is confusing for me.
Hope someone will help!
Thanks in Advance!
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:06 am

banoma wrote:Please can anyone explain the needed configuration in easy steps.
I have never setup a router or network so the following all the thread is confusing for me.
Hope someone will help!
Thanks in Advance!
This thread was mainly aimed at the TA612V being used with Sipgate, for other SIP providers you will need to locate those settings; try Googling for them. Before you can use your TA612V with any other provider, you will need to get the Open Firmware downloaded to it.

Unfortunately all the settings and information you will need to set up your TA612V is already within this thread. To go through and give a step-by-step guide on how to set up the TA612V behind specific routers, would take up ALOT of space and time.

You will need to go through this thread again, and adapt and apply the settings to your router(s). For the beginner, I would suggest sticking to the sipgate 'optimised' firmware, as this is less likely to be 'ruined'. Since my first TA612V seemed to be 'broken' since I installed the open firmware manually.

I have never used VoIPDiscount, but I'm sure someone else has; but I expect they will say the same.
banoma

Post by banoma » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:28 am

Thanks a lot studioeng for your reply and your help!
Sorry think I asked for too much by asking for Step by step guide, I should have been more specific.
I have tried to follow the thread and have spent lot of time now to configure the two routers.
My first goal is to access the internet from Ta612V behind another router modem Voyager 2091.
I think what I only I ned to do according to Techsolver is "Having learnt from my own setup I cloned the TA612V MAC to the WAN port of the existing routers, setup DMZ and static IPs for the WAN ports on the TA612V"
I will appreciate if kindly someone can illustrate the above steps. If possible the screeshots will make it very easy for beginners.
Cheers!
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:35 pm

One small note to all, MAC Cloning is not required in order to get the TA612V working with Sipgate or connected to the Internet.

All of this information has been given before:

* You need to give the INTERNET port of the TA612V a static IP address; which is within your existing network, remembering to enter the gateway address, which would be the ADSL Modem Router IP Address; or the Voyager 2091 in your case. (The INTERNET and LAN IP addresses MUST be different, otherwise it will stop working correctly).

* In your ADSL Modem Router (Voyager 2091) you either need to enter the TA612V IP address into the DMZ of your ADSL Modem Router (Voyager 2091) or to forward the following ports to the TA612V IP address:

69 UDP <-- TFTP port used for firmware updates (which can be removed if the open firmware has been installed).
5060 UDP <-- SIP Control/Listening port.
5004 UDP <-- RTP Data port.

(I am successfully using only these ports)

From there, you should be able to get your TA612V to download your personal firmware from sipgate, and also the Open Firmware, if you so desire. Remember you must be patient when the firmware is downloading, as this COULD damage your router. Read all instructions TWICE before you proceed.

As I say for other SIP/VoIP providers, you will need to find these settings yourself.
banoma

Post by banoma » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:47 am

Thanks studioeng for the easy steps!
It worked like a charm. I upgraded first to the sipgate locked firmware and later upgraded to the open firmware. Its working all fine behind the Voyager 2091 router.
Cheers! :D
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:54 am

banoma wrote:Thanks studioeng for the easy steps!
It worked like a charm. I upgraded first to the sipgate locked firmware and later upgraded to the open firmware. Its working all fine behind the Voyager 2091 router.
Cheers! :D
Glad I could help :D
goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:38 pm

After reading all the posts on this thread I successfully managed to register with sipgate and get my TA612V to phone out. My set up was Telewest modem > TA612V > Computer and Phone in Port 1
Now I want to put my Belkin Wirless Router into the setup. Ive given the TA612V WAN port a static IP address. Ive added that IP address to the DMZ on my Belkin Router. I also cloned the MAC address of the 612 to the Belkin.
I have connected the 612 via the ethernet port to a lan port of my belkin.
But because ive registered the 612 with Sipgate it looks like sipgate only recognises the original IP address. Ive gone into the setup on the sipgate page and it states the old ip address with a port in brackets.
It looks like once sipgate has configured your 612 you cant download a new config. It hasnt given me the username / password box again to re-enter the mac address.
Please help!!!!
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:03 pm

goldfinch wrote:After reading all the posts on this thread I successfully managed to register with sipgate and get my TA612V to phone out. My set up was Telewest modem > TA612V > Computer and Phone in Port 1
Now I want to put my Belkin Wirless Router into the setup. Ive given the TA612V WAN port a static IP address. Ive added that IP address to the DMZ on my Belkin Router. I also cloned the MAC address of the 612 to the Belkin.
I have connected the 612 via the ethernet port to a lan port of my belkin.
But because ive registered the 612 with Sipgate it looks like sipgate only recognises the original IP address. Ive gone into the setup on the sipgate page and it states the old ip address with a port in brackets.
It looks like once sipgate has configured your 612 you cant download a new config. It hasnt given me the username / password box again to re-enter the mac address.
Please help!!!!
Does the IP listed on sipgate, give you the external Internet address, or the internal network address? I believe it should be the external Internet address.

With regard to using the Belkin wireless router, you should be able to add the 612 in much the same why, making sure that the TFTP 69 UDP port is open to the 612, either by DMZ or port forwarding; which will allow the sipgate firmware to be loaded onto the 612. The other ports are listed in this thread; again they are: UDP 5060 + UDP 5004

From previous experience, I have had 5 entries listed on the sipgate connected devices, and I didn't have any real issues.

In this case, I would leave the 612 disconnected for a time until the registration on sipgate times out. I would also Erase Configuration on the 612, and then set it up from scratch after you have connected the Belkin. Also there is no requirement to clone the MAC of the 612, I have successfully set two up without doing this! :)

The address for the Netgear setup should be http://www.sipgate.co.uk/netgear... But it is not! try using this address http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/netgear

So I would simply Erase Configuration of the 612, and start the process from scratch once you have set up the Belkin.

I've just looked on the sipgate site; they give a lot more information on the account and devices connected :)
goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:15 pm

Studioeng,

Thank you for the information. Ive just set it up successfully. The other link you sent enabled me to configure the device again after it was connected to the Belkin. Brilliant!!
The only thing now is I cant seem to upgrade the firmware. Everytime I log into the sipgate website I cant find the option to Open Firmware. I have seen it before when i used www.sipgate.co.uk/netgear.
Ive logged out and back in. Has anyone a direct link?
Thanks
Darren