X-Lite/Netgear TA612V and Sipgate

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Firmware

Post by studioeng » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:58 am

computercooldude.co.uk wrote:There may be some miss understanding.
I was Looking for a firmware version that i could download, i currently have 2 TA612V routers working quight happly,
This incase anyone else has the same problem was done by getting sipgate to update the firmware so that i could actually change settings on it, Then on one router increasing the local sip ports and the Starting RTP port by 100 to 5160 and 5104 respectivly, also enabling the stun server on the second router, with increase ports.
I am looking for the version V1.2_73 firmware, as I am getting fed up waiting 3 days for sipgate support to connect remotely to my router and upgrade them, I am getting at lease another 2, and i think that sipgate support are getting fed up of me asking them for the upgrades, as my inbox for the last 4 weeks is mainly from them, over these issues.
I also belive that it would be easier for me to do it, and then i can actully get on with using them
When I installed the open firmware from sipgate, which is installed the same way as the settings are. I had the V1.2_73 firmware already. If you would like me to email the binary to you, PM with your email and I will forward it. Although I will say that you will need the Level 2 password to installed the open firmware yourself, which you need to contact sipgate to do so. They will inform you that the router needs to be registered first as the L2 password is generated from the MAC address of the TA612V.

IF you manage to get the open firmware from sipgate, by downloading it as you would the account settings, then the L2 password can be found by going to the /set_prov page, and it is the last 8 characters of the RC4 key.

It seems that since I started this thread, there has been a surge of the number of these routers floating around; mainly on ebay :confused:
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Firmware

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:26 am

I am not sure if but i think that the /set_prov can be accessed with out the level 2 password it can certinaly be done with the V1.2_73, version installed you can access it using the normal username and password.
Not sure about previous versions.
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:36 pm

I bought another yesterday from Staples as a spare at £9.99 this seemed to be last of shrink wrapped ones (other three not shrink wrapped make me question why otherwise would have bought more).

The V1.2_73 open firmware is easily got from Sipgate by changing your selection at http://www.sipgate.co.uk/netgear I would go through the standard setup, get the latest Sipgate firmware, then do it again but select the open version.

Wait a bit for the change to be reflected on the Sipgate server, then unplug the Netgear for a minute, plug it back in and it should get the open firmware and install it automatically. You can see this process is happening because the network LED flashes even though no other traffic active. Once this is complete the Netgear then automatically updates the firmware, the whole process took about 10 minutes.
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:56 pm

might have to go shopping then!!!! :D :D :D Thanks TechSolver :!: :!:
gnfonline

netgear ta612v on voipdiscount

Post by gnfonline » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:09 pm

I managed to grap a netgear ta612v from Staples, and set it up successfully with Sipgate behind my BT 2091 wireless router following the tips here. Many thanks to techsolver and studioeng and others!

Now I am trying to set it up with voipdiscount. All the status on the netgear shows that it is working, and when I lift the handset, there is a dial tone, but when I dial my mobile there is no success.

Does anyone know if I have to buy some credit first to make phone calls?

btw, does voipdiscount give away free telephone numbers?

Thanks
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:08 pm

When I tried to get my router working. I when on the sipgate site. and followed the instructions. entered my username and password etc, then got to the last page said reboot your router, so i did, and then left it. after leaving it 24 hours i got feed up and ended up email SipGate support, they sent me an email, next business day saying if you give us remote assistance we will fix it. so I did.
Alought this might me a cheats way of doing this they sipgate tech support did it and were very pleasent.
If anyone is "tried everything" then this might be a good way to go, :!: :!: :!: its also free :!: :!: :!:
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Re: netgear ta612v on voipdiscount

Post by studioeng » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:09 pm

gnfonline wrote:I managed to grap a netgear ta612v from Staples, and set it up successfully with Sipgate behind my BT 2091 wireless router following the tips here. Many thanks to techsolver and studioeng and others!

Now I am trying to set it up with voipdiscount. All the status on the netgear shows that it is working, and when I lift the handset, there is a dial tone, but when I dial my mobile there is no success.

Does anyone know if I have to buy some credit first to make phone calls?

btw, does voipdiscount give away free telephone numbers?

Thanks
Another satisfied customer :lol: glad I could be of service :D I'm glad that someone could make sence of all this babble :rofls:

Without looking, I would say that you would have to put credit on your account to ring mobile phones, but I would imagine landlines and other voipdiscount would be free/cheap. Mobiles are not cheap to call via SIP/VoIP.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:23 pm

computercooldude.co.uk wrote:When I tried to get my router working. I when on the sipgate site. and followed the instructions. entered my username and password etc, then got to the last page said reboot your router, so i did, and then left it. after leaving it 24 hours i got feed up and ended up email SipGate support, they sent me an email, next business day saying if you give us remote assistance we will fix it. so I did.
Alought this might me a cheats way of doing this they sipgate tech support did it and were very pleasent.
If anyone is "tried everything" then this might be a good way to go, :!: :!: :!: its also free :!: :!: :!:
[rant]
Well the third time I emailed them, they decided to refuse to issue me with the L2 password, and said that they would remote into the system; "I don't ****ing think so somehow"... It's my system; if I want to unlock it, or use someone elses service, I shall. Why after the second email they decide to refuse to send people the L2 password?

Luckily I was able to update the firmware via the Open Firmware option on sipgate; which then opens up the /set_prov page; which is locked via L2 with the locked firmware.
[/rant]

During the 24hrs you waited, was any of the status lights flashing continuously? Since the TA612V only picks up firmware when it boots up, if it doesnt get a new firmware then, it never will.

When you logged into the TA612V (before Sipgate remoted into the system), did you have the ability to adjust the VOIP Settings, and also do you have Upgrade Firmware at the bottom of the page??

Once the open firmware is applied, you will no longer be able to download other firmwares or settings from sipgate. When they say they 'don't support the open firmware' they mean they remove the tftp server settings from the firmware; so it will no longer contact them for firmware updates/settings on boot up. From then on, you will need to source out open firmware update binaries yourself. Unless of course you can obtain the default sipgate binary, which will then contact sipgate for account settings and firmware updates.
gnfonline

Re: netgear ta612v on voipdiscount

Post by gnfonline » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:57 pm

studioeng wrote: Another satisfied customer :lol: glad I could be of service :D I'm glad that someone could make sence of all this babble :rofls:

Without looking, I would say that you would have to put credit on your account to ring mobile phones, but I would imagine landlines and other voipdiscount would be free/cheap. Mobiles are not cheap to call via SIP/VoIP.
Well, I called my mobile just to test if it's working. I know it would be expensive. :wink:

If anyone has successfully configured it to work with Voipdiscount, could you please post it here?

Many thanks,

Ben
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:38 pm

studioeng wrote: I have also found some unlocked firmware for the TA612V; now I just need to be able to upgrage it :? :wink:
Where did you find the unlocked firmware :?: :?: , Would appreachite it if you could provide a link to it or personal message me with an web address
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Sorry for slow posting, here is a link to another forum with the V1.2_73 firmware binary.
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:52 pm

studioeng wrote:Sorry for slow posting, here is a link to another forum with the V1.2_73 firmware binary.
Thanks a lot, will have play shortly.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:28 pm

This issue with incoming calls is really getting on my nerves now... Has anyone else had this problem with a Safecom router running the RTv2.1 firmware??

I think I will have to try a different router; and see if that solves the issue. It's either the SWAMR or the fact I'm downloading torrents; or a problem with the v1.2_73 firmware...

:? :?:
computercooldude.co.uk
Novice
Novice

Post by computercooldude.co.uk » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:49 am

You could try turning on stun on, on your ta612v, chech Sipgate for the server, think its stun.sipgate.co.uk. BUT might be wrong.
Make sure that the followig
SIP Proxy Sipgate.co.uk
SIP Control Port 5060
SIP Local Port 5060
SIP Message TOS Value: 68
Starting RTP Port : 5004
RTP Data TOS Value: Hex: b8
Use Outbound SIP Proxy
Outbound SIP Proxy Address: sipgate.co.uk
Outbound Proxy Port: 5060
This should then work, but you will need to forward it throught your router pots 5060 and 5004.
Also check that the router dose have these ports forwarded. my router you have to create a service then enable it etc. worth checking.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:56 am

computercooldude.co.uk wrote:You could try turning on stun on, on your ta612v, chech Sipgate for the server, think its stun.sipgate.co.uk. BUT might be wrong.
Make sure that the followig
SIP Proxy Sipgate.co.uk
SIP Control Port 5060
SIP Local Port 5060
SIP Message TOS Value: 68
Starting RTP Port : 5004
RTP Data TOS Value: Hex: b8
Use Outbound SIP Proxy
Outbound SIP Proxy Address: sipgate.co.uk
Outbound Proxy Port: 5060
This should then work, but you will need to forward it throught your router pots 5060 and 5004.
Also check that the router dose have these ports forwarded. my router you have to create a service then enable it etc. worth checking.
I tried that :) only difference is that I had 10000 forwarded aswell, so I will try removing that; and just have 5004 and 5060 forwarded. What I find odd, is that the other two work pretty much straight out of the box, with stun turned off and not using the proxy. All I changed was the SIP Local Port to 5060 from 5083.

I think it might be just the amount of traffic which is interfering.

Edit: The Sipgate STUN server is stun.sipgate.net:10000. Do you know if you need to forward more ports if you are using both ports of the TA612V??