X-Lite/Netgear TA612V and Sipgate

All questions related to VoIP/SIP; getting things setup, best configuration, connection issues etc.
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:26 pm

goldfinch wrote:Studioeng,

Thank you for the information. Ive just set it up successfully. The other link you sent enabled me to configure the device again after it was connected to the Belkin. Brilliant!!
The only thing now is I cant seem to upgrade the firmware. Everytime I log into the sipgate website I cant find the option to Open Firmware. I have seen it before when i used www.sipgate.co.uk/netgear.
Ive logged out and back in. Has anyone a direct link?
Thanks
Darren
On the right hand side of the page, under 'More Information:' it should be the bottom option 'Open Firmware' (This link may or may not work for you)
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:23 pm

You can also use the Netgear link again, you get the option of the open firmware during the process.
goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks Guys.. all done!
kasabians

Still can get it to work

Post by kasabians » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:45 pm

Hey guys,

I have a ta612v router but want to use it with my netgear wpn824 router with a separate cable modem. Every time I have tried to configure the ta612v it keeps coming up with failed under the voip settings.

At the moment I have a cable linking the modem to the internet port on the ta612v, then a cable between the ethernet port and one of the available ports on the wpn824.

I have tried the settings you have said below - I may not have interpreted them right so check I am right:

on the ta612v I have set a static ip where the gateway is the ip of the wpn824 and the destination is ip address of the internet port

on the wpn824 - I have set the port forwarding as recommended - udp 5060, 5004 & 69.

I have tried resetting through sipgate's website and then auto config but it is not working?

Any ideas

Cheers
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Still can get it to work

Post by studioeng » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:36 am

kasabians wrote:Hey guys,

I have a ta612v router but want to use it with my netgear wpn824 router with a separate cable modem. Every time I have tried to configure the ta612v it keeps coming up with failed under the voip settings.

At the moment I have a cable linking the modem to the internet port on the ta612v, then a cable between the ethernet port and one of the available ports on the wpn824.

I have tried the settings you have said below - I may not have interpreted them right so check I am right:

on the ta612v I have set a static ip where the gateway is the ip of the wpn824 and the destination is ip address of the internet port

on the wpn824 - I have set the port forwarding as recommended - udp 5060, 5004 & 69.

I have tried resetting through sipgate's website and then auto config but it is not working?

Any ideas

Cheers
So a rough layout would be like this??

Internet
|
Cable modem
|
TA612V
|
Netgear WPN824

Does the Cable Modem have the ability to log into the Internet, or did you use the WPN824?? If that is the case, then you will need to enter your account details into the TA612V so it does the logging in and not the WPN824.

The Gateway/DNS IP should be that of the Cable Modem, not the WPN824.
kasabians

Post by kasabians » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:39 am

Strangely overnight when i logged ontop the menu of the ta612v - it said success and I can now make outgoing calls. However, I cannot receive incoming calls - i.e. the phone doesn't ring even though I can hear the dial tone through my mobile. Put if I pick up my handset (connected to the ta612v) it connects to the incoming call. So basically its not ringing for some reason?

James
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:09 am

If the ta612v is connected from the WAN port of the ta612v directly to the modem then you don't have to configure anything on the ta612v or your other router.

As for the phone not ringing, this could be down to using an older phone that requires the ring wire (which I doubt the ta612v supports). Try using a modern (new) phone.
kasabians

Post by kasabians » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:08 pm

when you say modern - a digital phone? I have a bt quartet 2010 which is about 4 yrs old so do I need to upgrade?
Techsolver
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Techsolver » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:03 pm

It really depends on the phone, I would have thought the 2010 would not require the ring wire, but stranger things have been known. I would try a very cheap phone (eg from ASDA at a couple of quid)
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:14 pm

Just to say, I bought one of the cheap phones from ASDA for under £3 for a mate and they work fine with the TA612V router. So would be worth a test like Techsolver says; then you'll know if it's the phone, the router or the set up.
lincsat

Post by lincsat » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I've set a few of these up now for mates and the basic settings are dead easy, although I've not had much success with QOS. I've enabled it in the WAN setup page and tried various settings in the bandwidth but still get outbound dropouts with a heavy load - what do you find the best value is to enter here?

What do you find to be the best codec setting, I find G.711 u-law @ 20ms best myself.

Has anyone found any advanced VOIP settings, I would like to configure a dial plan like on a Linksys or Sapura, or even have 2 different VOIP providors - but I guessyou get what you pay for :)
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:36 am

lincsat wrote:Hi Guys,

I've set a few of these up now for mates and the basic settings are dead easy, although I've not had much success with QOS. I've enabled it in the WAN set up page and tried various settings in the bandwidth but still get outbound drop outs with a heavy load - what do you find the best value is to enter here?
To be honest, you haven't really given a lot of information on your set up; so can't really help or suggest anything.
lincsat wrote:What do you find to be the best codec setting, I find G.711 u-law @ 20ms best myself.

Has anyone found any advanced VOIP settings, I would like to configure a dial plan like on a Linksys or Sapura, or even have 2 different VOIP providers - but I guess you get what you pay for :)
Indeed, you get what you pay for; considering the price you probably paid for it, I think people are just getting greedy.

You can only use one VoIP provider with the TA612V, but you can use two phones on the same line at the same time; there is no way of setting up a dialling plan; I take it dialling the area code is too much work??
lincsat

Post by lincsat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:37 pm

I've set the QOS value to 375k, just below my upload speed (NTL 4 meg down 400k up).

The dialplan is to wife proof the VOIP - I can remember to dial the local area code :)
studioeng
Experienced
Experienced

Post by studioeng » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm

lincsat wrote:I've set the QOS value to 375k, just below my upload speed (NTL 4 meg down 400k up).
Thats not the information I was talking about; I mean where in your network is the TA612V, behind a modem, behind a router; for example, if the TA612V is behind a router with nothing attached behind it, then QOS on the TA612V will do absolutely nothing!

If on the other hand, if it is behind a modem and before any other devices then the QOS on the TA612V should help to control it's bandwidth use.
lincsat wrote:The dialplan is to wife proof the VOIP - I can remember to dial the local area code :)
Unfortunately there is no config for dial plans on the TA612V.

Does your wife use a mobile phone; surely it can't be that much harder to remember to dial the area code?? Or even better buy a new cordless phone, which looks like a mobile phone which has a phone book memory.

Or on the other hand, if she's unable to master the intricacies of the phone system, may I suggest you further save money by issuing two cups and a length of string.
lincsat wrote:but I guess you get what you pay for
Yes, yes you do!!
Shotokan101
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

OT :)

Post by Shotokan101 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:39 pm

OT
studioeng wrote:
lincsat wrote:but I guess you get what you pay for
Yes, yes you do!!
As opposed to the fact that with a Wife you only pay for what you get :lol:
Jim

.....I'm Sorry But I Can't Do That Dave.....