Risks of no SPI firewall.

An area specifically for port forwarding, firewalls and other (on-line) security related issues.
Hello1024

Risks of no SPI firewall.

Post by Hello1024 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:14 pm

I'm considering getting rid of the connection tracking in my firewall, since it sucks up too many resources, and instead simply allowing all packets except inbound TCP SYN packets.

That should block all incoming TCP connections, but allow everything else in and out.

My question is are there any widespread windows/linux exploits that can still get in through UDP or ICMP etc.? If there are, how prevalent are they?
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:47 pm

What is the firewall running on, how do you know it is an issue? Quite small old PCs can handle gigabit routing!

Do you have a block of static IP addresses? - nat routing requires connection tracking.
Hello1024

Post by Hello1024 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:09 pm

mstombs wrote:What is the firewall running on, how do you know it is an issue? Quite small old PCs can handle gigabit routing!
This is on a little home router with only 16 meg of ram. The problem is not packet forwarding performance but rather memory use when tracking thousands of connections (think P2P or webserver)
mstombs wrote:Do you have a block of static IP addresses? - nat routing requires connection tracking.
Yep - got myself a static /28 (14 usable public IP addresses) by asking my ISP nicely. :D