External Access to Router Tech AR7WRD Web Interface

An area specifically for port forwarding, firewalls and other (on-line) security related issues.
eb0x

External Access to Router Tech AR7WRD Web Interface

Post by eb0x » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi All,

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I have a Safecom SWART2-54125 modem running 2.70 Router Tech firmware. It is not running the ADSL connection or DNS server, but is configured as DHCP Relay, and is used a Wireless repeater and LAN hub.

The ADSL connection is run by a Netgear DG834GT running standard firmware (V1.02.14 ) which is the DHCP Server.

The Safecom has a static LAN IP (192.168.x.y) on the Netgear, and I can access the web console or SSH to the Safecom from anywhere on the LAN or Wireless connection.

The configuration is fine, and is the way it is as the Netgear is more stable and is quick to tweak.

I SSH from the WAN to another LAN box with no probs. I would like to connect to the Safecom from outside the LAN so I can run lan-wake to avoid leaving the server on all the time.

The Netgear log shows I'm routing SSH to the Safecom, but I never get a reply. Neither can I get the Safecom web console to reply either. I easily connect to other machines on the network from outside when I change the firewall rules in the same way. It is just the Safecom/Router Tech that does not reply.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Jeremy
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:11 am

Hi,

Can you connect by ssh from within your LAN?

In the LAN configuration have you set the "default gateway" to be the LAN IP address of the Netgear?

demo/2-7/langr-configuration.htm
eb0x

Fixed it!

Post by eb0x » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm

That did it!

I just assumed that I only needed the gateway set if I was running the safecom as a server, not a client

Brilliant thanks mstombs
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Post by mstombs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Hehe - I just remembered that trick from this thread

http://routertech.org/viewtopic.php?t=2040

The default gateway normally points out to the DSL port, or maybe is undefined if DSL not used.