Wireless router hacked??

An area specifically for port forwarding, firewalls and other (on-line) security related issues.
LoneTurtle

Wireless router hacked??

Post by LoneTurtle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:00 pm

I have a wireless router supplied by TalkTalk.net. Since I've had it, a number of other things have been appearing on the AP list but this has never caused a problem. Just lately, however, I've noticed that one of the other items on the lists tends to be connected by default instead of "myrouter" (which is the only item I have ever added).

I'm totally non-tech so I'm probably not explaining this well. The screenshot below shows the "uninvited guests". Anybody know what might be happening and what I can do about it? I have an iMac G4 PowerPC with OS X 10.5.6 and the router doesn't appear to have a brand but the icon logo is "Ra+".

I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer.

Ron
mstombs
RouterTech Team
RouterTech Team

Re: Wireless router hacked??

Post by mstombs » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi,

It looks like your PC has decided to connect to a neighbours unsecured wireless! It is normal to be able to see other wireless networks available - helps you chose which one to connect to, and to set your own to a 'clear channel'.

I don't know how on a MAC but you should be able to tell it to only connect to your preferred, secured connection.
LoneTurtle

Re: Wireless router hacked??

Post by LoneTurtle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks. I was a little concerned that there might be a security issue here. You have eased my mind and made an old man very happy :)